DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wiring up a ceiling fan in a room with no electric. Everything is pulled to a junction box in the ceiling.

I want to use a dimmer for the light and a fan control in a single gang. I want to use the Lutron Masestro but here is the question.

If I pull 14/3 can I still use the single pole switch to control the light and fan? I have read about it and have found others using 14/2 wired this way. The reason why I ask is I pulled the 14/3 already, and then realized the 3 way version of this switch is double the price. Can i just disreguard the red wire in the run?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Im wiring up a ceiling fan in a room with no electric. Everything is pulled to a junction box in the ceiling.

I want to use a dimmer for the light and a fan control in a single gang. I want to use the Lutron Masestro but here is the question.

If I pull 14/3 can I still use the single pole switch to control the light and fan? I have read about it and have found others using 14/2 wired this way. The reason why I ask is I pulled the 14/3 already, and then realized the 3 way version of this switch is double the price. Can i just disreguard the red wire in the run?

Thanks!
You cannot use a dimmer and a switch on a single yoke (single gang). You can use a switch like I will provide below for an independent fan and light. A three way will not work either. A three way works in conjuction with two or more switches in different locations.

Is this wall still open? If it is, change the box to a two or three gang box. then you will have all the room you need and be able to use a dimmer, a switch and a blank spot if you go 3 gang (3 gang will hold 3 devices or two with special plate or dummy switch).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
A three way switch is used when you need to operate something from more than one location.

A lot of times a 3 wire cable is pulled to the fan box to allow independant control of the lights and the fan motor. Some remotes allow this switching using only a two wire cable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you know this isn't exactly relevant to your question but I actually was just in a house earlier this week that a friend of mine asked me to do a quick look through because she wants to rent it and I came upon a dimmer/switch that this idiot home owner/renter hooked the fan and light up to... so when the dimmer is down enough the fan stops spinning because it is wired into the dimmer... lol just please make sure you don't do something like that.
:eek::eek: I should snap some pictures of this house some of the things ive seen that this guy did are absolutely ridiculous.... he has the main feed running halfway around the house without being in any type of conduit etc.. def more than 30 inches

·
Sparkaholic
192 Posts
You cannot use a dimmer and a switch on a single yoke (single gang). You can use a switch like I will provide below for an independent fan and light. A three way will not work either. A three way works in conjuction with two or more switches in different locations.

This Lutron Maestro device allows you to do what you want in a single gang box. It is available at Home Depot here is the link to their page

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
storeId=10051&productId=100576179&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100576179&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100576179&locStoreNum=277&marketID=2

A 14/2 with ground is what you need for this from the switch location to the fan outlet location because it has a remote device in the fan canopy that controls the fan/light functions. So...yes you can cap off the red wire! Use a box that is "suitable for fan support" and secure it to either the bottom of the rafter/beam or install a 2x4 between 2 rafter/beams.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup- thats the switch i was referring to. I will not have to get the 3way version correct?

·
Sparkaholic
192 Posts
Not if you are only going to control the fan/light from one location like you are describing!

A 3-way is designed to control the same light from 2 locations. So if you have 2 entrances to the room and you want to be able to control the fan/light from either entrance you would then need the 3-way and additional wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts