DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I'm remoldeling an upstairs hallway, and have installed a old work box for the light, trouble starts here, I'm in an old house that has some knob/tube wiring, I have to run the wires from attic, what I want to do is wire into a two way switch, that controls a light at the bottom of stairway, therefore having two lights both upstairs and down on a two way switch,currently the two way ,operates the light at bottom of stairs only. not sure how to go about doing this, I'm a little scared of knob/tube. the old wire that I looked at is only two wires, not sure how to determine which wire is hot and netruel, thought I might be able to wire new light to old light fixture downstairs is this possible:no:

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
You need to run a new circuit from your main panel or extend a non KT circuit. You arr not allowed to add to, extend or modify a KT circuit.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
I thought you told us that it is KT.

·
Super Moderator
20,917 Posts
KT is Knob and Tube. Basically if there is no ground wire you can not extend the circuit.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
KT is knob and tube.

about 10 years ago I was going to install a simple bath fan in my old house. I buy all the needed gear ... crawl up in the attic ... swear for a few minutes, then spent the rest of the summer in the attic ripping out KT and rewiring all four bedrooms and bath.

my thought is if you have KT, rip it out. odds are the insulation on it is past its life span.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Knob and tube would be two seperate lines with porcelian insulaters holding them off where there attached.
If that what you have or even if you have the old two wire wiring. Do you and everone living in that house a favor and have it all redone before the house burns down or someone get shocked. Most likly that will involve a line line from the pole, new breaker box as well as all new wires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wiring in ceiling light

thanks to all who have responded, I still have questions, regarding the K/T wiring , although it is not threwout the home it seems to be primarily in the attic, what I would like to do is replace all K/T wiring, but would I have to fish new 14-2 wire through the walls ceilings and so on, about the ceiling light I haven't wire it yet, how would I detemine where the traveler wire goes from the 3way switch some have said you shouldn't have insulation (blown in) covering the K/T wiring in the attic floor is this true.

·
Licensed electrician
13,390 Posts
K&T is prohibited from being covered by insulation by the electrical code.

If you are rewiring you really don't need to trace out the old wiring. New wiring is installed and the old is removed or abandoned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts