DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contractor wired a room downstairs for us but didn't install the switches at the time. I thought I could do this myself. I attempted to do so several times without success. Here is the way he wired the lights and boxes. He has 3 wire romex going from 1st switch box to second switch box, but also has 3 wire romex going from 1st box to light fixture.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
A. What other wires are in the switch box with the two 3-wires?

B. What other wires are in the ceiling fixture box?

C. What other wires are in the switch box with the lone 3-wire?

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
THe 3 wire cable between the switches is sufficient and proper (2008 code). The 3 wire cable between the switch and the light is okay.

Where does the power feed come in?

Here is the way he wired the lights
Post a diagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the diagrams for the 2 boxes, 2 separate attachments in windows paint

[
quote=brric;671899]A. What other wires are in the switch box with the two 3-wires?

B. What other wires are in the ceiling fixture box?

C. What other wires are in the switch box with the lone 3-wire?[/quote]

WIRING DIAGRAMS I PUT TOGETHER IN WINDOWS PAINT. HOPEFULLY SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am trying to control the main ceiling light from both switch sites, there are no wires hooked up yet. They are just hard wired in right now. I have not placed any switches in the boxes yet. Basically, I need to install 2 3-way switches, 1 single pole for outside lights in each box, and 1 single pole in the 1st box for control of recepticals.
so basically, a 3 way, and 2 single pole in box #1
and a 3 way and 1 single pole in box #2

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
If you have power at box 2 and it is the same circuit as the power at box 1 you could do the following:

Disconnect the wire in box 1 connected to the 3 wire in box 1
Connect a 3 way switch at box 1 using the 3 wire using the black wire as the common.
In box 2 leave the neutral connection you have shown, connect the hot power wire to the common of a 3 way switch connect the black wire from the three wire to the black wire going to the fixture, connect the white and red from the three wire to the other two screws on the 3 way switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts