DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DIY'er
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon!

Life got crazy and I've not done a lot of DIY projects recently. I mostly used these wirenuts in the past. I called them scothloks. Everything I look up now with this name looks different. Did these change?

They have a flexible jacket and tend to bite in really well.

Thanks.

Hand Gesture Wood Finger Nail

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wire nuts in general haven't changed much, but nicer ones have been added to your selection. I like the 3M performance plus and the Ideal twister pro flex. Both have that flexible skirt at the opening. IMO, the 3M is a little better, but they're both good.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
If you twist the wires prior to installing, either type works.
The ones you picture seem to work better if you do twist the wires, the hard nuts will twist the wires themselves.

Reactions: jamiedolan

·
Registered
174 Posts
3M doesn't say to pretwist either.
I am no electrician but just using my thinking cap... whenever possible I pre-twist. It seems entirely reasonable that even a small amount of pre-twisting gets a more uniform amount of contact between the conductors that the wire nut just reinforces and strengthens. NOT pre-twisting would seem to allow for small gaps between the wires, especially if you are on the low end of the allowable wire sizes for the nut.

Not that I'd lose sleep over it, I've certainly NOT pre-twisted when I didn't have enough room to manuver and do it, but whenever possible I try to twist the conductors at least enough to where they want to nest together naturally rather than letting the nut do all the work.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Twisting doesn't provide for the gastight connection required. None of the manufacturers say to pretwist. You can throw out you "thinking cap" all you want but the manufacturers, the code, and the NTLs all say it's not required.

At worst, it gives you a false sense of security thinking that two twisted wires are suitably connected when they are not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Twisting doesn't provide for the gastight connection required. None of the manufacturers say to pretwist. You can throw out you "thinking cap" all you want but the manufacturers, the code, and the NTLs all say it's not required.

At worst, it gives you a false sense of security thinking that two twisted wires are suitably connected when they are not.
Not sure I get your point. It's not like I am saying "twist the wires together AND THEN DONT USE A WIRE NUT!"

Doing a little pre-twisting and then applying a wire nut tightened down adequately is not going to be a false sense of security.

Now, if a mfr said "Do NOT pre-twist" (which is VERY different from "Pre-twisting NOT required") then your point would be more valid.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I mostly used these wirenuts in the past. I called them scothloks. Everything I look up now with this name looks different. Did these change?
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and even 3M makes a bad product once in a blue moon. Scotchlok is that product. They might have been something once, but they're just horrid compared to all modern wire nuts. I KOS them, it's one of the few products where I'll toss the whole box into the trash.

NOT pre-twisting would seem to allow for small gaps between the wires
Only if Jonny Limp Wrist is doing the tightening.

I dislike pre-twisting because it fosters the wrong belief that the pre-twisting makes the connection and the nut is just a cap. NO. Tightening the nut properly is what makes the connection, and there should be no illusions about that!

Dr. David Banner, put the pliers down. Leave the wire nuts to the other guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts