DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced all the halogen undercabinet lights in my kitchen with LED pucks. In my old setup, the switch for these was located in a random spot (thank you some electrician from 1953) and I installed a Heath-Zenith remote receiver switch in place of the regular one and put the remote switch in a more convenient spot. This way I could control the lights form the regular spot, or from the remote switch. Worked great until the switch to LEDs. Now, when I power them off, the lights still stay on, but very dim. The switch is not supposed to be a dimmer. Didn't even know I could dim the LEDs.

I'm wondering if there's a product out there I could use to accomplish what I was able to get for the halogens, that would work for my new LED setup? Basically, is there a wireless remote switch that would work for LEDs?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
There are, but you will have to search for them, or talk to a local lighting boutique, or even the local electrical parts warehouse, and they can find them.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
I installed a set of LED lights under my upper kitchen cabinets some years ago. This was the type set that had a "touch ON/OFF" button which did not last long. I could not find just the button or the control box back then so I just left them alone, until recently. I looked this set-up over then went to a Lowe's where they were purchased originally back when. Lowe's now carry's the control box and button but they were priced two dollars ($2) more than the entire kit on the same shelf, go figure. O.K., so I decided I didn't need that fancy ON/OFF button. I by-passed the control box and straight-wired the lights and they worked. Then I go to the local RV sell/supply place and by a rocker type switch and a "low profile" type box to mount the switch into, like in my camper. Now the switch is mounted underneath the cabinets, you have to bend down to find it, and works really good. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If u want that a particular system to led undercabinet as well wireless then you should to install nearer place as you want.

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
I'm wondering if there's a product out there I could use to accomplish what I was able to get for the halogens, that would work for my new LED setup? Basically, is there a wireless remote switch that would work for LEDs?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Yes. Lutron Maestro

Just put them in for my led lights in the basement. The Peco remotes are RF instead of infra red so they work around corners and through walls. They are also shaped so that you can stick them into a standard decora switch plate and make them look like an actual light switch if you want. You can program up to 10 remotes for one switch. The switch itself has a memory system in it so it remembers the last dim setting you used. Nice switches... not cheap though!

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/SingleRoomControls/MaestroWireless/Overview.aspx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts