DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently have a switch in my living room for an outdoor flood light. Power is run from the switch to the light via NM cable through the attic. The NM cable is run through liquid tight conduit where it penetrates the attic at the fascia board.

I do not believe NM cable is allowed to be run outdoors; therefore, I would like to replace it with one of the following options:

1. Run NM cable from the switch to a junction in the attic. Run THWN wire from the attic junction box to the flood light by adding onto the existing conduit.

2. Run UF cable from the switch to the flood light.

I'm not sure which option is more appropriate, and I'm hoping someone can tell me which is more common. Or, perhaps, there's a better way to do it that I'm not aware.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Hi All,

I currently have a switch in my living room for an outdoor flood light. Power is run from the switch to the light via NM cable through the attic. The NM cable is run through liquid tight conduit where it penetrates the attic at the fascia board.

I do not believe NM cable is allowed to be run outdoors; therefore, I would like to replace it with one of the following options:

1. Run NM cable from the switch to a junction in the attic. Run THWN wire from the attic junction box to the flood light by adding onto the existing conduit.

2. Run UF cable from the switch to the flood light.

I'm not sure which option is more appropriate, and I'm hoping someone can tell me which is more common. Or, perhaps, there's a better way to do it that I'm not aware.
Any of them are good, but after this time, why bother?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was working on the switch, and I noticed the wall box was overcrowded by alot! So I have to do some reconfiguring to get the box cleaned up. I'd like to fix this issue while I'm at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts