DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone verify my crude wiring diagram for accuracy?
Ground wire is not discussed (left out)
Two 5246-i - 3way switches both with pilot lights glowing when load is on.
I currently have power source running 2 wires to a 2way switch then to load.
I want to swap the existing 2way switch for 3way w/pilot and from that switch, wire to the second 3way switch w/pilot upstairs 2nd floor, opposite direction of Load. I want the pilot lights to glow on both switches when the load is receiving power.
I have looked at explanations and diagrams below:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/need-help-wiring-3-way-pilot-120704/
And
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-diagram-three-way-switches-pilot-light-22868/
And
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiri...witches-pilot-light-22868/index3/#post1241878
And
I contacted Leviton -
Their tech support emailed written instruction…
I don’t have a specific diagram for two 5246 devices, but they will wire up similarly to a standard 3-way switch—except for the inclusion of a neutral wire:
1. Your hot wire would attach to either of the two black screws that are connected by a small metal tab (do not remove tab).
2. The two brass terminals on the opposite side are used for your traveler wires, which will connect to the same terminals on the load-side device.
3. The load-hot wire will connect to either black screw on the load-side device (again, do not remove the tab).
4. Your neutral should pigtail off to each silver screw on the devices, before connecting to the white wire from your fixture.
End of email instructions.

I displayed an image to work with and an image showing how I think it should be wired based on all information I accumulated.
Oh yea, there is a tab under screw ‘C’ for the pilot light.

Thank-you

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I made a new diagram with your drawing. It might help clarify.

So you have a two wire coming in, a 3 wire between switches and another 2 wire from 2nd switch to the load.

·
Super Moderator
20,939 Posts
I can't find a drawing for this switch but I don't see how the pilot on the first switch can work properly unless you bring the switched line from second switch back to the first one.
By my definition a pilot light comes on when the load is on. If this is one of those simply lighted switches so you can find it in the dark that is a different setup.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
tfo411, I like your dwg better.
But, I think the lower pilot will be lit all the time. The upstairs light will be on only when the load is on.

To make this work, one more wire will be needed between the load wire from the upstairs switch AND there must be a way to disconnect the pilot light tab from under the common terminal of the downstairs switch so that it can be fed by the added wire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
See i dont know about that. These are manufactured 3 way switches with pilot lights built in. I would assume there would be an internal function to operate the same way as a regular 3 way..the support tech the OP mentioned also said its the same other than requiring a neutral.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joed- yes, pilot light should only be on when the load has power.

Oso954- These switches do not have the second hot screw on the other side of the breakable tab. Your comments makes sense. Would help if we could find a drawing of the inside of the switch. If my test fails, i will email Leviton tomorrow requesting a diagram of the make up of the switch and post it.

tfo411, thank-you for redrawing the diagram- much better!! And, i see you do not object to the wiring plan- at least strongly enough to caution me i may tear a hole in the fabric of space and time so i will dangle the two switches from my living room switch box tomorrow, wired as shown in ur diagram. I will report back the test results.

Thanks everyone for the support and fast replies!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tfo411, how do you make the smaller thumbnails in your post? I looked at the source coding of your image code line and i read- { onload= NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this); } i would like to do the same so not to take up so much space with my images. I read the FAQ but there was no mention on resizing images as thumbnails. I searched the forum: ImageResizer and found nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honestly i have no idea lol. I just uploaded my img to a free img hosting site and told it not to resize when posting on the forum. Sorry!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested the wiring for the two 3way switches- hooked them up to an existing 2way light switch, when i turned on the breaker, the lights were on and the pilot lights were on- i was so happy until i turned off the top 3way and sparks came flying out of the same switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
On the phone with Leviton (manufacturer) tech support right now (on hold) as we spoke, i emailed the Tech an image we have shared of the wiring- he said it is wired correctly... i asked for a drawing of the internal wiring of the switch. I'm on terminal hold on the phone right now as i type.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still on the phone with tech support - they have no clue about their product, they have no internal switch diagram available he says and no he is trying to find more info on wiring the neutral, saying he thinks it may be wired wrong- my god

below is my test set-up i made:

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
So where are those wires coming from? 1 black from the panel, 1 black from the load.
Whats the 3rd black?
Can we get a pic of the whole setup?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, just off the phone with Leviton tech support- he does admit now that our wiring diagram on this blog is correct and every thing should work as we discussed. He says make sure there are no shorts- nothing touching then set this up on a bench for further testing. Oh yea, China makes the product and they will not give Levilton a diagram but then how do they get United Laboratories approval - nothing makes sense any more - we need a giant solar flare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wires coming from- 1 black from panel, 1 black to the load and white is pig tailed: panel, load and both B1 screws

1 - 20 of 36 Posts