DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a question regarding my kitchen ceiling lights. Right now I have a ceiling fan above the kitchen table. only problem is the electrical box is not centered to the table. they centered to the patio door for some odd reason. I want to install lights that are centered to the table.

I saw a few images of people who installed their lights in the fashion shown in the pic. the lamp wire is coming out of the electrical box and simply hanging out to the lights. Is this legal? and what about the following scenario. could I run the lamp wires from the existing electrical box to the new light location but instead of having it exposed I could run them in the attic and simply poke a little hole at the new location to pass the new light wire?

main reason for doing this would be to eliminate the need to make new holes in my ceiling and I'm not 100% sure of the location as it may change.. so would hate to poke a big hole only to need to move in the future.

thanks

Pabs

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
The cable coming out of the box would have to be properly clamped. I can't tell from that image if the cables just come out and have cover slapped over them or if it is a proper exit fitting.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,830 Posts
A lamp swag kit used as shown is compliant. Running the same wires in the attic space is not.

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lamp swag kit used as shown is compliant. Running the same wires in the attic space is not.
right, I've been finding info on this and it seems clear that those wires (lamp wires) are not meant for permanent installs. I guess I'll have to make some holes!

·
Registered
585 Posts
right, I've been finding info on this and it seems clear that those wires (lamp wires) are not meant for permanent installs. I guess I'll have to make some holes!
if you dont want to get into patching drywall then just put a cover over the existing electrical box, and by that i don't mean an ugly metal cover, you can buy covers that will match your ceiling and look decent,

then you mount a box where you WANT your light to hang, and run 14/2 in your attic space from the old box to your new box,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you dont want to get into patching drywall then just put a cover over the existing electrical box, and by that i don't mean an ugly metal cover, you can buy covers that will match your ceiling and look decent,

then you mount a box where you WANT your light to hang, and run 14/2 in your attic space from the old box to your new box,

I don't mind patching so much but I think I would just cover it, in case I ever want to install the light there again. makes that junction more accessible too in the event of a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts