DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to use Ideal Purple wire nuts to cap twisting Al to Cu or can I use gel filled outdoor waterproof wire nuts?

Before capping, should I use Naolox on the wire.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do I have to use Ideal Purple wire nuts to cap twisting Al to Cu or can I use gel filled outdoor waterproof wire nuts?

Before capping, should I use Naolox on the wire.
How many of such connections do you have to do? If it is only a few there are Polaris and Morris connectors for #14 & #12 conductors. Yes they are a little pricey but they make a bomb proof connection. Failing your willingness to pay for those use the small Split Bolt connectors which are marked for both Cu & Al. You then have to insulate the splice with at least 3 layers of listed electrical insulating tape. The laboratory listing mark will be printed on the inside of the fiber tube core of the roll of tape.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Purple nuts are bad news.

Outdoor wire nuts are useless. If you think that would help, you may misunderstand the core issue at hand. It's about thermal compatibility. Aluminum lugs are the universal donor, but copper lugs play badly with aluminum wire.

Your BEST option is receptacles or switches rated CO-ALR which take aluminum wire directly without problem.

Otherwise use Polaris-like connectors (which themselves are made of aluminum):

For #14-#10 wire (i.e. copper #14 to aluminum #10), use Alumiconns.

For #14-#6 wire, use ILSCO "Mac Block Connectors". These have only 2 voids, but allow as many as 4 wires of the same metallurgy in each void. So can connect up to 4 aluminums to either 4 coppers or 4 more aluminums.

For #4 and above you are stuck with the pricey Polaris.

·
Big Dog
3,215 Posts
I concur with Jim. My home is aluminum wired and I use AlumiConn as much as I can. Yes, it is a somewhat expensive option, but substantially cheaper than a house fire.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to make 4 connections of 3 wires each plus the grounds.

I went to City Electric Supply, 512 branches in 30 States. They had the Ideal Purple and the floor person said he never heard of Alumiconns, Polaris, or anything other than Purple and he's been in the business for 16 years.

I'm doing this for a friend, installing a microwave in a cape cod house built 1950 being lightly renovated and then sold. I cut some slack wire in the basement, twisted the wires, covered with Naolox, a licensed electrician friend gave me a handful of outdoor wire nuts to use, then wrapped friction tape around the nuts and wire. He said it's the same crap in the Purple as it is in the outdoor nuts. ???

What the floor person suggested, I should have run a new wire to the panel, using an existing copper wire breaker if one, or using a new breaker.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,129 Posts

I went to City Electric Supply, 512 branches in 30 States. They had the Ideal Purple and the floor person said he never heard of Alumiconns, Polaris, or anything other than Purple and he's been in the business for 16 years.

The floor person certainly is mis-informed.

I'm doing this for a friend, installing a microwave in a cape cod house built 1950 being lightly renovated and then sold. I cut some slack wire in the basement, twisted the wires, covered with Naolox, a licensed electrician friend gave me a handful of outdoor wire nuts to use, then wrapped friction tape around the nuts and wire. He said it's the same crap in the Purple as it is in the outdoor nuts. ???

This electrician is even more mis informed and caused you to create a dangerous situation. And you should not be doing this work

What the floor person suggested, I should have run a new wire to the panel, using an existing copper wire breaker if one, or using a new breaker.

This is a good suggestion. There is no such thing as a copper circuit breaker.

Reactions: SW Dweller

·
Big Dog
3,215 Posts
He is either lying about his years "in the business" or has never educated himself beyond what the store carries. AlumiConn has been around for almost 2 decades. I myself have been using them for about 10 years.

AlumiConn is available on Amazon, Lowes and other on-line retailers.

Reactions: J. V.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
City Electric is a fine outlet and I shop there. However, everyone isn't a dealer for everything. And there's always a bad apple, especially nowadays with qualified people so hard to find.

But he WAS a good SALESMAN. He correctly sized you up as a novice, understood that you were confused, and said exactly the right things to "pivot" you back to the items he did have in stock.

It only proves what a liar this person was to say after "16 years" he never heard of Polaris. That is the primary method for splicing wires #4 or larger, unless you're doing it OLD old-school with split bolts and 1/4" thick layers of friction tape. They might sell a trade name other than Polaris, but it's like a Ricoh copier dealer saying they've never heard of "Xerox".

If all he had in stock was aluminum wire, I'm quite sure he's never heard of copper wire "and he's been in the business for 16 years".

·
Super Moderator
14,969 Posts

So much wrong with the electricians knowledge as well as the clerk. Neither did you any service.

Reactions: J. V.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts