DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard references to wire bundles in various threads. I'm not actually sure what they are. I am running a substantial number (12) of wires (mix of 12 and 14 guage) between 2 ceiling joist to a point where they branch out to service different things. Basically, I'm following the path of how the house was wired, but it's an old house and I have no idea if it was code or what the code was when it was wired. Bascially, its about a 10 foot run where a dozen wires run in this space. Joists are 16 inches on center. Does this run afoul of any code requirements?

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Typically I don’t put more than 3 cables in a hole. Normally you can stay within deration factors and pulling is easy.

·
Military Mom of 4
974 Posts
Legally I'm limited to 8 in a bundle.

That's an unworkable number, though - nothing wrong with spreading it out over a short area, though - several holes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Follow up question: if I have a bunch of wires just lying next to each other, not going through holes or anything, is that considered a bundle? Or if they are close but not actually touching? I guess basically I'm just trying to figure out what a bundle is.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Code doesn’t technically define bundling, but I believe they are referring mostly to maintaining spacing between cables for an adequate distance to allow free air to move and dissipate heat.

Should have asked before, what kind of wiring are we talking. I was assuming romex (NM). Silly me for assuming?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Code doesn’t technically define bundling, but I believe they are referring mostly to maintaining spacing between cables for an adequate distance to allow free air to move and dissipate heat.
Since a distance between cables is not specified, one micron between is good enough.:jester:

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
True. We dont need no stinking spacing. :gun_bandana:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes indeed, romex. Although there are a couple lines running through the same space going to different parts of the house that I didn't rewire that are that old, thick, black stuff.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Bottom line is, you can have up to four CABLES (size #14-#10) in a bored hole before ANY derating needs to be considered.
I can lay out the codes for you but I don't feel like it right now. You'll have to trust me. :smartass:

Many places don't even consider cables running through hole "bundled".

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes indeed, romex. Although there are a couple lines running through the same space going to different parts of the house that I didn't rewire that are that old, thick, black stuff.
You are just fishing wires in a ceiling cavity, right?

·
Military Mom of 4
974 Posts
'Splain please.:huh:
Hrmph - sorry. Wrong forum - that was business stuff. Puzzled as to why that posted instead of the post I typed. . . glitch I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts