DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to wire 4 outdoor lights with one switch. Please see attached GIF picture. Is this the correct way to control all 4 lights with one switch - wire all the red(live) wires from switch and lights together in a pigtail and all the black(neutral) wires in another pigtail ?

Attachments

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
All depends on where the incoming power is, at a light or at the switch.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Nitpicking.

A pigtail is a short length of wire, one or both ends of which may be twisted together with the ends of other wires. Not the bundle of twisted together ends itself.

Wire colors as you have shown is appropriate for automotive wiring and 240 volt building circuits however the neutral in 120 volt circuits must be white.

Where does the power feed enter the picture?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I updated the diagram. Basically there was an outdoor light fixture on the exterior wall so I removed it. This light fixture was controlled by a switch in the house. After I removed the fixture I see 3 wires, live, neutral and ground.

So the idea is after removing this light fixture I would like to connect the 3 wires to power a total of 4 new light fixtures. The 4 lights will be mounted away from the wall on top of some posts but under a covered patio roof. So they won't be rained on but the sun does shine on them(my patio roof is clear PalRam Suntuf). It looks like this :
http://tntbuildersinc.com/2010/01/29/patio-cover-3/

How to connect them physically ? So it won't be pigtailed in this case because there's 5 wires bundled together ? BTW do I need UF or THWN cables ? I plan to staple the cables onto the rafters.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Use uf, thwn can not be used without conduit.
Take a wire from the old box to the first light location, then a wire from there to the next and so on.
Connect color to color.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK but due to my configuration :

Live wire from Lights A,B,C all need to be "pigtailed" or bundled together with the live wire from the wall(Only light D can pigtail with the wire from Light C). So that's 4 wires that need to be "twisted" together. What's the right way to do that ? Can a pigtail cap enclose more than 2 twisted wires together ?

Is it the same thing with the ground wire ?

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
You do not have a pigtail. You are using the term wrong. You are simply connecting 4 wires with a wire nut. No problem with that.

A pigtail example would be if you still had a fixture in the first box. Then in addition to the 4 wires you would add a fifth short 6 inch wire to connect to the fixure. The 6 inch wire is a pigtail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts