DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A large 28" exhaust fan on the roof that is mushroom shaped allows snow accumulation during storms to blow in. Does anyone have a simple solution?
One year I covered it with a leaf bag and duct tape. Not the best solution. I googled a magnetic cover which would be cool but only covers for small vents were available like microwave vents.
This vent does not draw any air from lower floors due to attic being totally open at one end extending into a two car garage. Simply cools the attic and garage ceiling as it should so removal is out. Presently there is a large pan on attic floor under fan to try and catch snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried the foil and foam protectors that you usually use on a windscree of a car to stop the heat getting in? They'll be flexible and help insulate as well.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The other question I have is about the attic of the house being open into the garage. Depending on how old your home is that's quite likely not code compliant. There's supposed to be a firewall separating the garage from the house including attic area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
28" - does it span the rafters? Not that this really matters.

I would replace the pan with a big sheet of plastic that hangs from the rafters. Any snow will settle in here, melt, and then evaporate. It should be big enough and hang low enough that it does not get sucked into the fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts