DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with this issue for quite some time and need your help!
The wing nut (circled (brass)) is stuck and wont' move (even if the screws come out it is stuck to the pipe and sink faucet fixture).

The wing part of the wing nut is too big for me to pull out from the above (bigger than the hole in the granite) , and I cannot pull it down as the faucet handle above is too wide for the hole in the granite.

Ug! What am I missing? How do I get this wingnut sucker off?!?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Doesn’t look like a wing nut to me. Looks like it needs a large screwdriver that fits the slot properly. Maybe a screwdriver bit in a long extension, use an impact driver. Be sure the tool is set in reverse.

B5FBE856-FE39-4825-A013-06C85ADFDB36.jpeg

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Are you trying to loosen by hand?
There is probably some build up of corrosion, calcium and whatever else, so spray some lubricant and wait to give it a chance to penetrate.
Then, disconnect the flex on the side, and use basin wrench to loosen.
Don't forget to turn the water off.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
DJ ... I don’t think he can get a basin wrench to wrap around the screw. Not enough clearance to the pipe.
After removing the screws, and he said he was successful in removing them, he might be able to.
If the brass thing up there is not threaded, then a hammer and a chisel will knock it down.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Ok, i got it. He removed the 2 screws in the clamp ring, but can’t get the ring loose. Corrosion? The basin wrench should break it loose.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
I've been dealing with this issue for quite some time and need your help!
The wing nut (circled (brass)) is stuck and wont' move (even if the screws come out it is stuck to the pipe and sink faucet fixture).

The wing part of the wing nut is too big for me to pull out from the above (bigger than the hole in the granite) , and I cannot pull it down as the faucet handle above is too wide for the hole in the granite.

Ug! What am I missing? How do I get this wingnut sucker off?!?

View attachment 651893
Looks like a under deck nut- loosen the screws and then from the top side, under the trim escutcheon, you should have a nut to spin off the stem. Then drop the assembly down through the hole, not out the top.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE="Half-fast eddie, post: 6453400, member: 582987"]
Doesn’t look like a wing nut to me. Looks like it needs a large screwdriver that fits the slot properly. Maybe a screwdriver bit in a long extension, use an impact driver. Be sure the tool is set in reverse.

View attachment 651901
[/QUOTE]

LOL - those are holding the faucet handle in place. When removed, here is what I have....

View attachment 652266

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you trying to loosen by hand?
There is probably some build up of corrosion, calcium and whatever else, so spray some lubricant and wait to give it a chance to penetrate.
Then, disconnect the flex on the side, and use basin wrench to loosen.
Don't forget to turn the water off.

I sprayed the heck out of it with WD40 and nothing happened - I think it is beyond that now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After removing the screws, and he said he was successful in removing them, he might be able to.
If the brass thing up there is not threaded, then a hammer and a chisel will knock it down.
I'm not sure where that would go/work - I don't want to damage the countertops above.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Are your pictures from the under side? If so, have you tried to disassemble from the top side?

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jam a wood piece in beside it to limit it from turning and turn the part above the sink.
Above the sink, I just have the handle that is insanely stuck! I used a pipe wrench on it and got no where...This is as far as I can lift it given the nut on the underside....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts