DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
No problem... although, I was just looking at them again, it is special order only at my store and the stores around me too. Might be the same in your area too. Could always give 'em a call and see how long to order one if it is the case.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
menards does sell the guns as well. the dow corning stuff some in a kit with the 2 cannisters along with a gun and various tips. I thought I was ging to go through the tips left and right. I ended up using one tip for each set I bought. I've got a bunch of tips lying around here somewhere. If you prep all the windws ahead of time and have a plan for lugging the cylinders around window to window ( there is a carrying handle ) you can probably use one tip per cannister set. The stuff is not cheap though, if you are going to do a window at a time, I'd just use the cans. closed cell is what you want for a moisture barrier.

Froth-Pak is what I used from Menards.

·
11,730 Posts
Adding fiberglass alone is almost useless, right down the bottom of the list here:http://books.google.com/books?id=a298Hrpiu8AC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=Proskiw+(1995)&source=bl&ots=R3I2-fFVTl&sig=beKYTj24gopGv73x7cKL9XKEyJY&hl=en&ei=MHkNTbCWJou6sQPAiPXyCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Proskiw (1995)&f=false

The weight cavities are usually included in part of the window unit: http://chestofbooks.com/architecture/Building-Trades-Pocketbook/Windows.html
There will almost always be a rough opening framed in a wall for a window with just studs, if not studs and jack studs.

Gary

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
well if the rest of the house is fiberglass,i don't see a huge problem using it in the weight pocket,i mean there's a window right next to it,what would be the advantage of ''super insulating'' that?

i would just air seal the trim to the back of the sheathing and fg the rest

·
Exterior Construction
26,129 Posts
well if the rest of the house is fiberglass,i don't see a huge problem using it in the weight pocket,i mean there's a window right next to it,what would be the advantage of ''super insulating'' that?

i would just air seal the trim to the back of the sheathing and fg the rest
+1

Just air sealing it is going to pay huge dividends and fiberglass (while complete crap) isn't that bad if there isn't moisture or air movement.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I tore into the left side of the window today. There is absolutely no insulation between the window and the frame and obviously in the weight pocket. I really have no idea if this is going to lower the sound from the road, but I will feel better knowing there is insulation all around the window when I'm done.

·
11,730 Posts
I thought other readers might benefit from the "stuffing f.g." in a cavity- not the professionals here.

Gary

·
11,730 Posts
Better to start 2 new threads on the subjects. One in "General discussion" and the other in "Paint". Thanks, Gary

21 - 35 of 35 Posts