DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently replaced our windows with the help of a friend who owns a sunroom company and helped us order and install them. We figured that he would know local code specs but should have done our own research.
When we had our
window inspection afterwards the inspector said that we needed to take the windows out to install the flashing underneath. The manufacturer instructions state that there are 2 ways to install and you can install the flashing before installation or after so we figured that protecto wrap after would be sufficient. We did protecto wrap outside under where the trim will go and used spray foam around all window edges and quad flash and the windows have a continuous nail fin.
The inspector usually inspects plumbing but was inspecting windows that day and I’m worried that taking the windows out to put down flashing underneath the windows (on the framing) and then putting them back in will do more damage and that the windows will actually be less waterproofed than they are now.
Any tips or tricks for something that we could do instead of uninstalling and reinstalling? Also it’s worth noting that almost all of the windows have a ledge of laminate countertop under the window. I’m not totally sure how you’d install flashing because of that surface. Picture below of that laminate countertop.

Attachments

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Tough to tell much of anything from that picture and without some progress pictures. While the code enforcement officer swings a big hammer, it doesn't mean they, as a default, are always right.

We really need to see progress pictures in this case to make a determination.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Ask to talk to the inspector's supervisor.
They are not automatically on their inspectors' side, and you have a shot to reason with him.
Bring out your progress pictures (and don't tell me you don't have any) to make your case for a variance more likely.
WCS -worst case scenario - you'll have to re-do it. You can carefully remove the window with no damages to the vinyl frame.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
The same progress pictures that the inspector couldn't/didn't see.

It looks like a no flange insert set within the existing surrounds/trim.

How do you flash that?

In stucco? You don't as is being suggest via tape and flanges. Unless part of you work scope is to bust out all the stucco around the windows.

·
Super Moderator
13,281 Posts
In stucco? You don't as is being suggest via tape and flanges. Unless part of you work scope is to bust out all the stucco around the windows.
From what I can see from the inside picture is the type of install that was done there's nowhere that any sticky tape would or should have been used.

Not sure where you came up with stucco.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
From what I can see from the inside picture is the type of install that was done there's nowhere that any sticky tape would or should have been used.

Not sure where you came up with stucco.

Stucco is reference to another replacement window discussion a bit back and was more for general commentary.

Seeing as nobody has posted a picture of the exterior, I figured I would interject more variability for us to all comment with certainty on something we still haven't seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a few more photos of the insides and outsides. I was just trying to showcase the laminate counter top base that is in most of the windows with that first picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is immediately obvious that this window needs to be replaced. In any case, I can advise you of a good and reliable company that does its job very well. You can find that at https://joinerysolutionssw.co.uk/ I went to them last year when I needed help replacing two windows in my kitchen. The size of the windows was quite large and we planned to give them a few weeks to process it and prepared a considerable amount of money but it turned out to be much faster and cheaper. That's why I advise you to contact them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.