DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting my first shower tile job. This is my old house that I moved out of recently so I have the latitude to take a little bit of time and not rush to get the bathroom back up and functional because I need to use it. That said, I probably could have picked an easier job to start with. This house is old, nothing is straight, level, or plumb and I've had to do a ton of shimming and fiddling with stuff to get things to where I think they are right. So, onto the meat of the problem.

This bathroom has an L shaped shower/tub, which means that it isn't enclosed on the opposite end. The strangeness comes from the fact that there is a window protruding into the shower area. And I have no idea how to end my tile against it and where to end any trim that goes around the window.

Here is the entire shower:

To the left:

To the right:

The tiles are 3x6 white subways tiles, BTW. I also have 2x6" bullnose tiles but my dad thinks I should just forgo them and butt it up against some trim on every side.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37,430 Posts
First thing I would have done is removed that window or at least reframed and moved it over.
#2, That tub was not designed to used with a shower, I would have removed it and replace with one that was and built a wall on that other end.
If you refuse to replace the tub, there needed to be blocking added behind the wall in two places (a 2 X 6 laying flat works well) so you have something to attach an L shaped shower curtain to.
I also would have used tile board and tiled that whole back wall because it is going to get wet when water leaks behind the curtain and rot that wall out.
#3, The last place I'd want to see a small piece of tile used is at the bottom row like the way you seem to have it laid out now.
#4, Never a good idea to have a textured ceiling in a kitchen or bathroom.
There imposable to clean and will be a dust and mold trap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I would have done is removed that window or at least reframed and moved it over.
#2, That tub was not designed to used with a shower, I would have removed it and replace with one that was and built a wall on that other end.
If you refuse to replace the tub, there needed to be blocking added behind the wall in two places (a 2 X 6 laying flat works well) so you have something to attach an L shaped shower curtain to.
I also would have used tile board and tiled that whole back wall because it is going to get wet when water leaks behind the curtain and rot that wall out.
#3, The last place I'd want to see a small piece of tile used is at the bottom row like the way you seem to have it laid out now.
#4, Never a good idea to have a textured ceiling in a kitchen or bathroom.
There imposable to clean and will be a dust and mold trap.
Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts