DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I Need advice on this framing. Do I need to put doble 2x6 on each side of the window rough in?
I know I need to put fireblocks but I didn't till I find out if I need another 2x6 on the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You should have jack and king studs on either side of the window running from the top plates to the bottom plates. If this is a load bearing wall, you'll need a header.
If any of these terms are unfamiliar, do a goggle search so you can respond.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a porch with 2 2"x12"x12' nail together between the 6x6 post and the brick wall. The room is about 12'. Can I use this and evade putting a header on top. If we put a header we are going to end with the window too low.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
It was a porch with 2 2"x12"x12' nail together between the 6x6 post and the brick wall. The room is about 12'. Can I use this and evade putting a header on top. If we put a header we are going to end with the window too low.
Posting a photo from the outside will help determine the load.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron6519 said:
You should have jack and king studs on either side of the window running from the top plates to the bottom plates. If this is a load bearing wall, you'll need a header.
If any of these terms are unfamiliar, do a goggle search so you can respond.
Thanks Ron for your help. Appreciate it.

·
11,730 Posts
May need the extra stud/blocking for interior/exterior trim or casing.... Blocking required for shear with the plywood/OSB?

Gary

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GBR in WA said:
May need the extra stud/blocking for interior/exterior trim or casing.... Blocking required for shear with the plywood/OSB?

Gary
I don't think is required but I put them too, ...just in case. The most important thing said the inspector is that your 2x6 have to be nail to the OSB every 6" max. And vertical pieces.

·
Too Old
345 Posts
When I frame in windows I always have dbl. stud on sides (kingstud and trimmer) and the sill, this helps with nailing later. Being you are framing in a porch I would still double stud around the window.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
havalife said:
When I frame in windows I always have dbl. stud on sides (kingstud and trimmer) and the sill, this helps with nailing later. Being you are framing in a porch I would still double stud around the window.
Thx for your advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts