DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I recently bought a 15,000 btu window unit Off of Craigslist. The seller stated that the unit was two years old and did not cool as well as it used to and possibly needed a “recharge”. Once I installed the unit I came to realize that this unit was not cooling whatsoever, Essentially just functioning as a fan even when I’m cool mode. The unit it perfectly clean as if it were brand new, however I cleaned the filter anyway as this is all I know how to do in terms of A/C maintenance and repair. After a bit of research I am wondering if maybe the compressor is broken? The unit is very quite and really only sounds like a fan, so maybe the compressor is not even turning on at all and that is my problem? Or is there a way to “recharge” the air conditioner?

Has anyone had any experience with this unit before? And what does this sounds like/how do I fix it DIY?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
If the compressor and both fans are coming on and it's not cooling, get rid of it - not worth fixing, leaking refrigerant or other major issue.

If the compressor isn't coming on, it could be something simple like a capacitor and is worth checking out.

Always test used appliances before buying!

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Window shakers aren’t really intended to be serviced. Unless it’s a high end unit, it’s likely built as a disposable appliance.
That’s not to say you can’t work on them. But you’ll need the proper tools.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Can check still check the capacitor and see if power is being applied to the compressor.

If it's a bad board or has refrigeration problem, the unit is junk with labour cost exceeding that of buying a new one.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Can check still check the capacitor and see if power is being applied to the compressor.

If it's a bad board or has refrigeration problem, the unit is junk with labour cost exceeding that of buying a new one.
Absolutely.
I should have been more specific with my post. Every window unit I’ve seen is a sealed system with no access ports to test the refrigeration circuit.
Exterior parts can still be easily tested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.