DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
24,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
13,656 Posts
Wow, that really is a weird problem. Never heard of it in my 30 years working with PCs.

If the second drive is new and/or blank. I would try a reformat. Couldn't hurt.

Also check the BIOS upon boot up and see if anything looks weird there.

· Super Moderator
24,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit of history.
The current PC has two drives. HD1 c: has the windows 7 operating system. HD2 has three virtual drives for d: download stuff; e: pictures, and f: backup files and ghost images.
I remove HD1 Install new HD1 and install windows 10. Attempting to save new downloaded files I can't. Working on installing all my software getting annoyed not having permissions to do different things. some stuff I have found the fixes for but not this one.
After getting frustrated I remove HD and put win 7 back to take a break.
I have checked all the permissions in win7 and changed them all to everyone full access. Some were set already but at least of the virtual drives was not. I will see next time I go back the win10 job if that had any effect.

· Registered
3,949 Posts

· Super Moderator
24,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Still not working.
The second hard drive has three disks defined on it D:, E:,F:.
I can save to E: but not to D:. As far as I can tell all the security settings are equal between them.

E: is not actually fully working. There are some pictures that it will not let me view because I don't have permission.

How do I gain full control over all the files on this disk?

· Registered
13,656 Posts
Still not working.
The second hard drive has three disks defined on it D:, E:,F:.
I can save to E: but not to D:. As far as I can tell all the security settings are equal between them.

E: is not actually fully working. There are some pictures that it will not let me view because I don't have permission.

How do I gain full control over all the files on this disk?
Do you have a backup of everything on D, E and F?

If you can safely "play around" with the drives, I would try to change the partition sizes and see if you can merge everything into the drive that works fully. or create a brand new partition (G) and merge everything to it.

Also, check the drive manufacturer's website for Knowledge Base or other resources that may be relevant to your issue.

· Registered
2,920 Posts
There is a lot to be said for working from the command line. I worked on systems running Win98 up to XP and trying to remember how to get to whatever utility I needed if different versions was a headache. Then I watched an IT guy running some of these utilities from the command line. Voila!
If I want the command line in Win10, I just type CMD and the search box and hit Enter. Nice.

DXDIAG is useful for gathering system information and there's an option to save it in a text file.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.