DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're debating whether to put a backsplash over a hardwood vanity top or just have a plain joint to the wall. If the vanity just butts up against the wall with a 1/8" gap, is caulk (clear) in that joint going to work long-term?

The drywall was treated with Gardz due to paper damage. The drywall is getting a pretty thick coat of mud (may finish close 1/8"). I plan to apply a sealing primer and a couple of coats of the best bathroom-recommended latex paint I can get to the wall.

I don't expect the vanity to be flooded with water, but stuff happens...

·
retired painter
10,993 Posts
It all depends on how wet it gets. Caulk can last a long time if it and the surrounding area stays dry and the vanity is mounted well [no movement] IMO hardwood isn't a great choice for a sink countertop - but it does look nice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends on how wet it gets. Caulk can last a long time if it and the surrounding area stays dry and the vanity is mounted well [no movement] IMO hardwood isn't a great choice for a sink countertop - but it does look nice.
I redid our basement bath with a butcher block top coated with System Three Mirror Coat and a glass vessel sink. I didn't expect my spousal critter to want that thick, glossy coating, but that's what she picked out. It looks great, but we'll see how long the coating stays nice!

In that case, I didn't actually caulk because I was able to pitch the thing a tiny bit for drainage and it's just floating off the wall (no cabinet under), so if any water gets into the gap it can drip though and be exposed to evaporation from all sides. Gonna make the next vanity top in the same way, but I don't want to risk not caulking in this project upstairs since moisture would be trapped behind the cabinets.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Unless your vanity has a lot of movement related to the wall, I would think silicone caulk would be fine. How is it fastened in place?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vanity is nailed to the wall in 4 places with framing nails into the studs, so it is pretty secure.

·
retired painter
10,993 Posts
I assume it's an old vanity ?? I think it's been 40+ yrs since I've seen anyone nail a cabinet to the wall - everyone uses screws today.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the house was built in 1978, so it probably dates to then. I'm going to sand and refinish the front of the vanity and make new doors and drawer fronts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts