DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
Looking for recs on WiFi lighting controllers that can solve the following issues:
(1) I have two standard outdoor lighting transformers (input 120VAC, output 5 channels of 12-15 VAC). Currently using Geeni controllers that simply control power to each transformer (i.e., all circuits are either on or off, no dimming capability). What I’d like to have is a multichannel controller that would give me control over multiple individual 12-15 VAC channels, preferably supporting dimming.
(2) I also have an outdoor lighting power supply (120 VAC in, 12 VDC out) used to power three LED strip lighting circuits near a swimming pool). Again, looking for a controller that can give me on/off and dimming control (PWM) over those individual DC circuits. Note: most of the cheap one-channel WiFi strip lighting controllers I have tried (e.g., Tuya) that are 12 VDC input/12 VDC output with PWM dimming capability can only handle 1-2 amps, and so they overheat when trying to control more than a few lights. They are also very unstable and will not stay online reliably. Ideas?
(3) My home WiFi network is an Orbi mesh. None of the lighting controllers I have tried will connect to it. (The kludge I am using is to have a separate 2.4 MHz WiFi network (using an old router + repeaters) just for the lighting controllers. Works but less than ideal.) Suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look at Shelly. one of their products should do what you want. best part, it works all local with HomeAssistant. no need to go through some servers in other countries
Thanks. The Shelly RGBW2 might work for the second case I described (max power it will handle will be tight), none of the current Shelly products appear to work with / control 12-15 VAC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used quite a few products with Bluetooth control functions. Worked great. As a child of the new technological era I have come to the conclusion that it's much better to use automation products that make your life easier in order to make everything flow smoother. That it's especially true when it comes to lighting as I used to have problems with the electricity in my home at a point from all the lights I had in the house while I was shooting my YouTube videos. I looked it up and found a great machine that can fix the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts