DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of making a small bathroom and laundry closet in the basement. The smaller I make the laundry closet the bigger I can make the bathroom. Depth isn't an issue, but I'm curious if I have a stackable washer/dryer combo that are 27" wide, how wide should the closet be? I'm more worried about not being able to hook up the exhaust flex duct to the rigid duct without pulling the unit all the way out. Is this extra length that I will need going to be an issue? Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
JMHO but I have seen a lot of issues using flex dryer hoseRi including a few houses burnt down because of them.People tend to collapse the vent hose pushing the dryer into to small of a space and restricting the flow which causes lint build up in the hose and could result in fire.Ridgid is more a PITA to hook up in a limited space but where the safety of your family is concerned I would not try to make the space to small for a dryer vent that can work properly.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you hook it up with all rigid ducting? I've had a short length of flex duct for 6 years and it hasn't become clogged or dirty. I don't see any other way to do it. I'm talking about flexible metal galvanized pipe. Even with my side by side that I currently have now I don't see a way to not use some type of flex line for the dryer to wall connection unless you just line it up and push it in, but then there's no seal unless you can squeeze your hand behind and tighten a clamp. Any time you bought a new dryer you would have to tear up the wall if it didn't line up perfectly with your existing hook up.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are those periscope hookups safe? I could always make the wall connection up high and use the periscope to reach above the dryer. I could then reach over the unit and connect them near the ceiling. I always assumed those are not the best idea.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I could probably make my own periscope using some elbows and use only rigid. I have to think about this and do some measurements. I could also put the hookup in the ceiling if I wanted to and only use a couple of inches of flex. That would reduce the line to two turns including the one exiting the unit.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
All I'm saying is don't make the laundry cabinet so small as you have to use a flex line and push your dryer so close to the wall that you cut off the flow for the vent.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If you use a 2-8 door and allow a couple inches on either side for trim, you would have a 3' inside width for your closet and that seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If you use a 2-8 door and allow a couple inches on either side for trim, you would have a 3' inside width for your closet and that seems reasonable to me.
I was referring to the depth of the closet.Don't make it so shallow as you have to use a flex exhaust hose mashed so you don't get the proper air flow.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
"I'm more worried about not being able to hook up the exhaust flex duct to the rigid duct without pulling the unit all the way out"

This sure looks like a reference to depth to me.Anyhow,if he asked or not I was trying to give him the benefit of my experience to keep him and his family safe from a fire.
Problem with that?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Sorry, I was not clear - I was saying that the OP had only asked about width and therefore that was all I was responding to.

You can advise him on anything you see fit.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Geez, settle down - I'm not being difficult here, I'm only saying that I was addressing the width concern and not the depth concern simply because the original question did not ask about depth.

Anything more is an inference on your part.

Sorry to be causing so much friction on my first day here.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Mike the width of the room is dictated by the size of your belly. As you mentioned you need to reach behind the dryer while reaching from the side. I suggest adding a couple of inches for future growth.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The closet will be the same depth as the bathroom that will be to its right, so it will actually have too much space behind it. That's not an issue. I have enough room to connect a 4" rigid line to the dryer itself before I push it in. So now I'm considering doing that and making the wall hookup near the ceiling. I have a 9ft ceiling in the basement so I think this might work out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts