DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alcove is about 53.5 inches wide between two partition walls and I need to install a washer and a dryer, each 27 inches wide into this cramped space.

I am thinking of removing the 0.5 inch plaster board over a wall area of roughly 4'X5' on one wall; then shaving about 1 inch off the studs and replacing the 0.5 inch with 0.25 inch wall board over the thinned studs. That would leave horizontal and vertical ridges that would need finishing due to differing wallboard thicknesses.

I would appreciate getting suggestions/tips for doing the job as stated, or for entirely different approaches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tearing out wall involves complicating issues such as:
* also moving a framed door,
* ceramic tile floor on both sides of wall (moving wall would leaved ugly visible gap in ceramic tile),
* overhead cabinets running across the width of alcove, abutting the walls and perhaps joined to the walls,
* vanity abutting wall at other end, etc.

This is a partition wall that is non-load-bearing.

Perhaps shaved studs could be reinforced by screwing on steel plates?

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
You are actually thinking of shaving studs to gain an 1" of space?

Seems like alot of work for what the you are getting in return

There is wood molding which could cap the differential.

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
If these are non-bearing you won't need any re-enforcing. 2x2 studs are not uncommon in some partition walls with no mechanicals. Even in new construction

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If these are non-bearing you won't need any re-enforcing. 2x2 studs are not uncommon in some partition walls with no mechanicals. Even in new construction
in that case i just wouldn't hang any DW on the inner side of the alcove to avoid exposing the 2x2 with unnecessary weight + who really cares if the studs are exposed inside there as long as you have like a curtain or some utility door to block the view.

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
Power planer. Remove all nails and screws. Leave extra space at the top to account for the foot not allowing you to plane all the way to the top.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you already own these 27"W washer/dryer?? I am assuming then that they cannot be stacked??

what about taking the drywall down on both sides and using a 1/8" paneling material??

I don't even know where to begin at trying to "shave or whittle down the studding... like said before, a lot of work for 1".

rod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alcove has overhead cabinetry across its width thus preventing stacking.

Unfortunately ceramic tile on one of the alcove walls would mean a far bigger hassle messing with that wall.

Currently alcove is filled with 20 yr old washer 25.5 inches wide and newer dryer 27 inches wide. Washer could need replacement any day. Major brand washers or dryers smaller than 27 inches wide have greatly reduced capacity, offer few choices, are high priced and seem not to be rated by CU.

Widening alcove to fit two 27-inch machines seems like the best approach.

I am very pleased with all the good suggestions that have been made. Many thanks to all of the respondents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.