DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would hesitate to recommend exercising old breakers. Not that I disagree with the concept, but it's been my experience that breakers (ESPECIALLY Federal Pacifics) that have sat there for decades won't reclose after you trip them. Then you're stuck with a box that you can't find breakers for.

Particularly if you live in an area with fire ants (they love electrical devices) and gum them up regularly.

·
6,520 Posts
I would hesitate to recommend exercising old breakers. Not that I disagree with the concept, but it's been my experience that breakers (ESPECIALLY Federal Pacifics) that have sat there for decades won't reclose after you trip them. Then you're stuck with a box that you can't find breakers for.

Particularly if you live in an area with fire ants (they love electrical devices) and gum them up regularly.
I'd rather a homeowner exercise their old breakers and possibly end up with the problem of not being able to reset them...Because they're obviously faulty to some degree...Than have them not trip when they need to. :huh: Not exercising them due to that possibility is like not changing the oil in the car because the oil fill cap might not go back on.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
We had a job several years ago in a Bulldog panel:

I was called in to replace a breaker for a dryer circuit. Simple job, really. But since I was dealing with an old Bulldog panel, I switched off the main before attempting to change out the breaker. Bulldogs are bolt-in, and very dangerous to work on while hot. I have a half-burned thru screwdriver in my collection to attest to this.:laughing:

Anyways, when I was done, the main breaker would not turn back on.:furious:

Bulldogs have been obsolete for some time, even back then and I had to do an emergency service panel changeout to restore power to this guys house! :huh:

This occured at the last call of the day (of course!) around 4PM. I ended up working until after 9 PM that day, missed out on a Code change seminar that I had already paid for, and had one unhappy customer who had to fork over hundreds of dollars to replace a panel that he thought was just fine that morning. :censored:

Certainly, that main breaker was bad from the get-go, it just had to be me that stumbled across it the hard way it would appear. :huh:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts