DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm attaching a couple of image. I'm cleaning out my basement, and I'm trying to figure out why there seems to be a secondary support for the beam shown.

I've had other houses that just had a pole going into the ground. This is the first time I've seen two. Why would that be?

Secondly, can I move it? Or does it have to be specifically there?

·
Hammered Thumb
3,991 Posts
It's not connecting at the top or bottom. And you wouldn't put it there if there was a problem with the beam. Don't know what else is going on here, but it looks like it had something to do with the half wall you took out, maybe they wanted to attach a widget to something strong and didn't want to affect the actual structural post.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
One thing I could think of is that the post was added by a prior owner possibly to help correct a squeaky floor. 3onthetree is correct, is correct, the post isn't connected. But that could be due to the steel I beam. One thing you could try is loosening it slightly. not enough for it to be remove or slide away, to see if the floor squeaks.

On another note, there are a lot of loose electrical cables. You may want to consider stapling them up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, cool. I'll try that.

Yeah, they had a little shelf type of thing there that they boxed around it that I just took out.

And definitely agree on the wires. I just removed a terrible drop ceiling and I'm going to tidy up the wires and paint the ceiling black.

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
The only reason I can come with is that the previous owner possibly wanted to move the original post and installed the new one but the plans changed and he never got to the removal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Not at all. It seems and looks as sturdy as possible. I noticed the bolts in the plate of the original pole going into the beam are loose. Not moved or anything. Just not completely tightened.

·
retired framer
59,878 Posts
No. Not at all. It seems and looks as sturdy as possible. I noticed the bolts in the plate of the original pole going into the beam are loose. Not moved or anything. Just not completely tightened.
The beam flange has a taper and there is a special taper that should be under the bolt but carpenters never have them so they just look loose. They are likely tight. closer to the web.

Don't you wish people would leave notes?

·
Hammered Thumb
3,991 Posts
Can I move the added post closer to the wall and remove the original?
No sir. The footing under the column is kinda important. Also, that column is probably about half-way between each end of the beam, look on the other side of the framed wall where the furnace is. Usually you design walls and areas around the column locations.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
No sir. The footing under the column is kinda important. Also, that column is probably about half-way between each end of the beam, look on the other side of the framed wall where the furnace is. Usually you design walls and areas around the column locations.
Like 3onthetree stated above, the column can't be moved.

I would only add that it could possibly be moved if you hired a structural engineer and they drew up the requirements to move the post. It would typically include a new footing (probably a 3' x 3' dug down to undisturbed soil) structural bracing during the move, and obviously a permit. The only question for you, would it be worth the cost of just hiring the engineer?

Also, you mentioned painting the ceiling black. Why black? I have painted several basement ceilings using an airless sprayer and I have always used white. It makes the room looks brighter and airier.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,430 Posts
is there a hot tub on the floor above? Therefore, that short section of beam was undersized for the weight - so they added the post?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.