DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Nice forum here. I just stumbled onto it, and I have a question. I bought my 1991 house, two years ago. When we bought it, our sump used to run nearly all the time. There was always water in the sump. I adjusted the float, and things seemed fine. The pump would come on periodically....but there was still usually a little bit of water in the sump.

About a year ago, I happened to check the sump, and noticed it was bone dry. I thought that was odd, but didn't worry about it. I periodically check the well.....and only one time, during the past year, was there any water in the well. BUT...I drain our basement dehumidifier in the well.....so that water could have been from that. We have just completed a full week of nearly constant rain....and when I go to check the sump...it is STILL bone dry. ?? There doesn't appear to be any water seapage into the basement...but should I be concerned that there was such a change in "behavior" of this sump, from two years ago?

Our house (I believe) has french drain system around it. Also...the soil is VERY dense clay...and rocky. The yard, itself, is very wet....so I can't believe I don't have a lot of water around the foundation.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Keith W.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You know you have water surrounding the house. You may have a clog in the pipe that leads to the sump (if that is how the water gets there). I would consider tapping around on the basement floor with a hammer. Tap lightly, and if you find what sounds hollow, you will know the water is washing out the soil under the floor. Hope you do not find this to be true.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If there is not water on the walls or floor, and the sump is dry, maybe there is not water around the foundation. Not a bad thing. But if there is efflourescense or signs of water, as suggested above, the drain system has likely silted up and is no longer working. Not an easy thing to fix, major digging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts