DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I don't need to primer if I'm just doing a color change, right ?

No. If you've done any patching and your paint has any sheen to it, you'll need to spot prime or at least spot first-coat the patched areas or else you'll get what's called flashing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I primered a few spots where I patched.
The rest of the paint is all clean
Flat not gloss

So, I am going to apply 2 coats right over most of the existing clean paint.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Before I start my second coat of mud I usually drag the knife over all the joints to knock down any hangin boogers. I will sometimes use a sanding block also.

Clean the inside of the bucket as you lower the mud level and keep the plastic wrap clean and on the top of unused mud in the bucket.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Yes, maintenance of the bucket itself when storing the compound is important. I haven't found it useful or convenient to keep the plastic wrap on top, although if I'm going to store for quite awhile or an unknown time, I'll put in a shallow layer of water on top. Also, if you store it it can turn very moldy. By the way it's best to use a heavy drill and mixing paddle to mix the compound the first time you open it, to make it as smooth as possible. When doing this, I drop in a capful of bleach if I'm going to be saving the compound, which saves it from getting moldy.

When bigcaddy says to "drag the knife", it's best if you push with the sharp edge going away from you, rather than pull with the handle coming toward you, as this won't knock much off. Sanding is possible too of course, but sanding after each of 3 coats is really a messy pain. I prefer to take my time and get the coats smooth, so I don't have to sand until after the third coat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The room came out amazing.

I finished the ceiling.
Did a coat of primer.
Painted it with ceiling paint.

Painted the walls yellow.
No primer except on a few repairs spots.

Pulled the rug to expose hardwood floors.

Tossed the boxspring bed and got a storage bed from Ikea.

Got all new furniture. Dressers, desk, lamps,etc.
New blinds.

Whole room looks great, and the ceiling was the first step.
Thanks for all the help!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts