DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southern California here. I had some interior paint work done in January, all with Dunn Edwards Suprema. The result is very nice looking, but the paint does not stand up to even the slightest scrape. I find that I'm frequently touching up scratches in the paint. My folks' house still has paint from the 80s, and that old paint seems much more resilient. Were regulations enacted since the 80s that has resulted in less-durable paint?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
When scratched, what do you see below (the previous paint job, drywall, something else, ...)? Was there primer applied or just the paint?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When scratched, what do you see below (the previous paint job, drywall, something else, ...)? Was there primer applied or just the paint?
It was primed before being painted. The primer was white but when the paint is scratched it reveals a grayish tone.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Is that greyish tone the previous paint? If so, that would indicate there might have been a contaminant on the walls which was not washed off before the primer was applied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous paint was white. The walls were sanded and vacuumed before they were primed. The guys did a god job.

The paint just seems easily-blemished.

·
retired painter
11,571 Posts
Some paints dry to a softer film than others. Exterior paints are generally softer than interior paints. It's probably been 35-40 yrs since I used any DunnEdwards paint so I don't know anything about their current coatings.

·
Premium Member
7,802 Posts
This is unusual especially after the high quality and very thorough prep. Were the walls glossy before the primer was applied? If they used a regular drywall primer and not a BONDING primer that could explain it. Just throwing that out there. Flat paint?
Flat doesn’t hold up as well to getting bumps, scratches, etc. What is causing the scratches? Kids bumping into walls? Hanging pictures?

The contaminant theory is possible as well (already mentioned). Who knows what a previous owner used to clean walls. They could have used TSP or even Murphy’s Oil Soap. This isn’t quite that likely due to the thorough prep. I’m stumped.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Yeah, this doesn't seem like the usual choices. Are you aware of anything on the walls which would account for the grey color you see under the scratches? I'm running with the hypothesis there's something wrong with the adhesion of that layer and the one on top of it but that doesn't mean I'm right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts