Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have not really done DIY projects myself and I would like to get your detailed feedback about the DIY reasons by asking:

1. Why do you do DIY projects? Multiple choice possible!

a) Saving money
b) For fun
c) Indidivualizing
d) Other, please specify

2. What are the essentials for a successful DIY project? Multiple choice possible!

a) consistent instructions
b) personal experience
c) other, please specify

3. What are the pros and cons of DIY?

Thank you guys,

I appreciate your help.

Du-It-Yoursel

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
1. A - I am to cheap to pay someone. Also I like the sense of doing it myself
2. C - other - Having a plan, patience, patience, patience. I am a professional carpenter. I think many people can do it and do well, the level they care is the level of job they will do. Now there is so much good information easily available that one can easily learn.
3. Getting in over your head.

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
d- it's in my blood

d- lots of blood

cons- only so much blood to give..... :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
D. Because I can
C. Having the guts to jump in & "do it" & not be afraid of screwing something up. Ive scrapped lots of stuff perfecting my trade & still scrap lots more.

con- Smashing your finger with a hammer XD. Having to cut 4 dang cedar boards to fit a spot because you screwed up the first 3 (did that today, on the plus side I had 3 scrap cedar boards to take my frustration out on)

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's satisfying to start a project and finish it, and have something to show for your work. To come home and see something you did in your own home. To be self-sufficient.

Plus I'm cheap.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,585 Posts
Hello guys,

I have not really done DIY projects myself and I would like to get your detailed feedback about the DIY reasons by asking:

1. Why do you do DIY projects? Multiple choice possible!

a) Saving money
b) For fun
c) Indidivualizing
d) Other, please specify

2. What are the essentials for a successful DIY project? Multiple choice possible!

a) consistent instructions
b) personal experience
c) other, please specify

3. What are the pros and cons of DIY?

Thank you guys,

I appreciate your help.

Du-It-Yoursel
Research for Pych Class 101?

Tell us about you,
Why have you never done a DIY project?

A.) No Skills
B.) Unmotivated
C.) wealthy and do not mind paying someone else 3 - 4 times what my cost would be

most diy'rs start young, dumb and broke, and fix things themselves out of necessity. As they get older their skill level and confidence increase with each new project which also will become more complex.
Their are few things in life more rewarding than building something yourself and seeing the finished result of a job well done.

as for me.........I was born with a hammer in my hand,

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
1 D Quality. I can't get the same level of quality from pros. For pros it's all about getting it done fast and easy, get the money and on to the next job.

2 c care. You have to care enough to take the time to research the right way to do it. Too many act frst and then try to fix or make do with issues caused by hurrying.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Jogr not sure which pros you have hired but the ones I have hired do exemplary work. I do small DIY projects or projects I don't care how long they take and are within my skill level. Ultimately I if had enough bucks to hire some to do all my DIY projects I would happily sell all my tools. Then I could spend my weekends fishing or heaven forbid quality time with better half . After working 65+ hour weeks there is little time or energy .

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 D Quality. I can't get the same level of quality from pros. For pros it's all about getting it done fast and easy, get the money and on to the next job.
Agreed. I know whats inside my walls & it is far superior than what any "pro" would put in them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason why I am asking these questions is...

First of all thank you guys for answering. I appreciate it.

I am from the Netherlands as I stated in the indtroduction forum and I am currently working in the US, in Iowa. I am a student and I write my Bachelors thesis about a pool fencing and partition systems that has been developped as baby and child drowning protection.

This system has not been launched on the market yet. It has a patented feature that the clamps which are attached to the stainless steel posts are adjustable by +/- 45 degrees, the height is 4feet and conform the law.

So since interviews and surveys are of great importance for my thesis and I "will" graduate in about less than 2 monts, I asked the question here to you guys. I prefer to do a personal interview ( anonymous) with detailed feedback, but I know that nearly everybody does not want do it. I would be happy if anyone of you is willing to help me with an interview via personal message.

I also prepared a multiple choice survey on XXXXXXX, so if you are interested in participating, you are welcome :) I would also appreciate if you could share it with your friends. I am Until now, I have 0 participants, it is quite difficult. This is the link: XXXXXXXXXX

As a student I can share my results with you in return...I know it is not much, but I cannot do more.

·
Administrator
39,683 Posts
Sorry, surveys are not allowed on our site.

Thread closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.