DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my own understanding. Why do so many DIYers disconnect wiring and tear things apart without first understanding what they are doing or at least documenting connections before removing. Even professionals determine what they are dealing with before Willy-nilly tearing into an assembly. Just asking. :glasses:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ignorance. A buddy and I changed the spark plug wires on his V8 engine when we were in high school. Neither of us knew what we were doing but I pulled the wires one at a time to match them up with the new ones while he just pulled all four off his side at once. Needless to say, he got two of them mixed up when he installed the new wires. Worse, though, was when he tried to switch them with the engine still running.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
If I'm working on something new or unfamiliar, I take photos of everything as I take it apart, each step of the way.

Especially electrical, such as replacing a ceiling fan.

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
I"m like ZZZZZ, I use my iPhone to take photos.

·
Registered
631 Posts
No. I'm just venting frustration about so many of the posts that appear here. Too many people dive in without asking questions first.

All of those home improvement/remodeling shows on cable aren't helping the situation. In just an hour the person has a new kitchen or bath. They don't cover any of the problems encountered or decisions to be made except maybe what color paint.

For my money, This Old House is the only one that comes close to conveying what's involved and how slowly the work moves, and even they deal in mostly best case scenarios.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
All of those home improvement/remodeling shows on cable aren't helping the situation. In just an hour the person has a new kitchen or bath. They don't cover any of the problems encountered or decisions to be made except maybe what color paint.

For my money, This Old House is the only one that comes close to conveying what's involved and how slowly the work moves, and even they deal in mostly best case scenarios.
And they never tell you how do those stupid weekend "crash" shows get permitted and inspected on a Sunday. :biggrin2:

It's always "a perfect fit" for these TOH experts.

Well Norm (and Tommy), us amateurs don't have a $2000 table saw or a $1000 bandsaw. Our work is usually not perfectly square or mitered or whatever on the first cut.

For once, I'd like to see these guys show us how to fix a cabinet face frame that is not square or a piece of crown molding that isn't coped correctly. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Why do so many DIYers disconnect wiring and tear things apart without first understanding what they are doing or at least documenting connections before removing. Even professionals determine what they are dealing with before Willy-nilly tearing into an assembly.
For the same reasons as their belief that a non-contact voltage tester is the only "test equipment" they need.
:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
This thread brings back a 58+ years ago memory. When I was around 10 I disassembled a mechanical counter my dad brought home from work. Do you know how many small parts including springs, levers, dogs, etc are in a digital counter?? All of the parts went in an old sock and stuffed on a shelf out of the way. To this day I wonder if he ever found it.

Today we are blessed with smart phones, thank goodness.

To the question, people today are to proud to admit there level of expertise. I am wrong a lot, but never afraid to admit it, at least to myself...

Bernie

·
Registered
231 Posts
They don't have the ability to think ahead or plan ahead. They are living in "this moment" and just don't think about the future.

These same people will tailgate when driving and not be able to budget their money.

One of these people received a letter from a credit card company telling him he had $800.00 more on his credit limit. (His card was already charged to the max.) So he proceeded to go shopping and bought his kid a $150 pair of shoes as well as spending the full $800. The kid wrecked the shoes within one month.

A few months later he complained he had too many bills to pay!

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
I marvel and stand in awe of you electricians. Of all the forums, yours has the most activity and the most challenging problems that need solved. I know my deep respect for the power of electricity keeps me from diving into something I know very little about. I'm lucky enough to have a brother who was an Electrician's Mate in the Navy and I can consult him for the difficult tasks.

I think Justin is on it with the "living in this moment" mentality we see so often today. I think people dive in with the thought that if they get in a bind, they can crank up YouTube or float a question on a message board to bail them out...........

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most people think they can remember way more than they can actually remember. A simple three way switch in the box looks fairly benign. Pull three wires off, put three wires back on in the same place. So they take it apart, get a phone call, and come back. Then they THINK they remember one of the black wires was on a colored screw and one of the blacks was on a brass screw. Or was it a red wire on the colored screw?

That's also why humans have been proven to be the worst eyewitnesses ever for a crime or accident. They think they remember more than they actually do. Lawyers can usually tear up an eyewitness fairly quickly.

Better electricians rarely rely strictly on memory, especially when tackling complicated tasks. That is why they/ we have and use books of wrap around numbers, and we carry little notepads and pencils, and some of us (not me) use cameras. And on those stubborn occasions when all isn't as it should be, we rely on test instruments to find a solution.

Peace

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
....That is why they/ we have and use books of wrap around numbers, and we carry little notepads and pencils, and some of us (not me) use cameras. And on those stubborn occasions when all isn't as it should be, we rely on test instruments to find a solution.

Peace
Lol. That reminds me of the situation with a new apprentice, that seems to reoccur.....
Mechanic: "where's the notes for the thermostat wiring?"......
Apprentice: "Um it's on the panel..... "
Mechanic: "you mean the panel on the old unit... That's on that truck, driving away? "
Apprentice: "....."

Cheers!

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I disassemble color laser printers, I take photos of every step and put numbered masking tape labels on cords and ports when they're the same color. There are lots and lots of tiny parts, screws and cables. I can't depend on my memory alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts