DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is in my kitchen. The light switch on the left works a ceiling light directly above the switch. About 20ft over, there is a ceiling fan with lights on it.

The light switch on right turns the lights on to the ceiling fan. Only the lights.

The dimmer switch controls the actual fan, not the lights. If you turn the dimmer on just past the "click" the fan turns on and appears to work fine. If you turn the dimmer all of the way up, the fan continues to work, but makes an annoying humming sound similar to what a bad ballast in a florescent light sounds like. Turning the dimmer low or high does not change the speed of the fan.

What is the reason for the dimmer switch? Why was it used instead of a regular switch like the ones that control the lights? How difficult is it to swap out the dimmer for a regular light switch?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
IT depends if its a dimmer or one specifically designed for motors. A regular dimmer wont work, however it can dim the incandescent bulbs.

Do you want the bulbs dimmed? Do you want to control the fan speed?

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
We have one of those old fan rheostats controlling the fan at our cabin. They look exactly the same as the old rotory dimmers, (however they are not interchangeable).

Our fan works the same way. The rheostat operates and controls the speed of the fan just fine. The side effect however at the lower speeds is an annoying hum sound.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
years ago, the fans could be controlled with a basic dimmer. i did it that way, and it worked great. but now, they make the fans a lot more complicated, probably so they will break more often. and a regular dimmer will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be willing to bet that at one time the dimmer was meant for the light and the wall switch was for the fan. I would change the wires on the fan to make the dimmer control the light and the switch to control the fan and use the pull chain control the fan speed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.