DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a really loud whooshing sound coming in at the main water supply and then going all through out my house through the copper water pipes. It is so loud that I can hear it from upstairs through the floor in one area (right above main line that comes into house)
We have an outdoor faucet that we never use because it leaks outside (we always have it shut off from inside) and today we had to use it so turned the water supply to that valve on so we could use it. Ever since then there is a giant whooshing/running water noise coming in from the main water supply (I can hear it outside at the water meter as well). I don’t see water leaking anywhere and I have taken the steps of turning off main water supply, opening all faucets, turning on water to push air out with no avail. Can you please help if you have any suggestions? this sound is brand new so i am worried. I’m really not sure why this is happening and i’m afraid to have my water on if there is any possibility of a leak

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Some debris from the long unused branch to the outdoor faucet may have dropped into the main line and lodged somewhere.

Any loss of pressure since you tried the outdoor faucet?

Try draining a few gallons of water, under normal pressure, from the outdoor faucet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think any pressure has been lost. I turned the water supply off overnight because I was worried about the noise and this morning tried again to let the water run once turning the supply back on and it didn’t seem to do anything. Are you saying I should just let the outdoor faucet run for a while on its own?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I do not think any pressure has been lost. I turned the water supply off overnight because I was worried about the noise and this morning tried again to let the water run once turning the supply back on and it didn’t seem to do anything. Are you saying I should just let the outdoor faucet run for a while on its own?
There is a break in the main water line before your meter call the water department.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
For now just drain a few gallons via the outside faucet. If this did not clear the clog or cure the problem then chances are the problem is somewhere else.

Didn't the noise stop when all of the faucets were turned off again after testing or usage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your response. It seems like the spigot in the basement to the outside spigot needs replaced. I tightened that with all of my strength and the noise subsided a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts