DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Debate is silly. If you can afford the cost, the value of a whole house standby generator is peace of mind and a real value in an extended outage. I went though week long outages with Sandy and Irene here in NJ, and a recent storm where people were without power all over the county for up to ten days. I was lucky my outage was shorter. I have a 10kw Generac for my whole house with load shedding for my oven and dryer. Natural gas and an investment of $6500 was worth every penny in the overall cost of owning a home. I did my own research with the help of an electrician to get the smallest unit that would legally do the job.

·
Registered
618 Posts
We install about 200 generators every year and it's about 70/30 between whole house and select circuit. We get a lot of clients that had bought portable generators but are now ungrading. Generac has a software program that calculates the loads .

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
We live in a small town. ~1000 people. For the majority of the residents, power is delivered underground. Yet we still have power outages.

Some are momentary, barely enough for my UPS to kick in. Some are long enough for my UPS to run out of power (of course, if I would stop watching TV when it happens, it would last longer).

And some have lasted for days. Thankfully, none of the day long ones have happened in the winter. Because even though we have gas to heat with, we have tankless water heaters supplying the heat for our under floor radiant heat.

One day, I do plan on getting a whole house generator. Before that, I probably will get portable one. I have a sub-panel that runs the tankless units. I can add the circuits for the refrigerator, gas oven and microwave and some lights. It is a 60 amp panel so it should be enough.

I have the 2 tankless units on a MWBC on a 20 amp 2 pole breaker. I could have used 15 amp, but the cable was 12 gauge.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
One day, I do plan on getting a whole house generator. Before that, I probably will get portable one.
Why a portable ? If you don't have other uses for it, the money you spend on it and the inlet for it is wasted as soon as you go whole house.

There is nothing wrong with jumping in with both feet and going with the whole house.

Dragging out a portable and the cord for it, hooking it up, getting it started, gets harder as we age. I don't think my wife was ever capable of doing it with a large portable.

The always hooked up, self testing, automatic start whole house generator is a blessing for people that are getting older or have health limitations.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
There are 3 ways to think about it.
1. A big generator that picks up your entire load, so you live seamlessly. It would be something like a 22k unit. It usually costs the most.
2. A small generator that picks up limited critical loads. It would be 8k or 10k and would be the cheapest. It keep you alive with some inconvenience.
3. A load shedding system. It uses about a 15k generator. More circuits are connected than the generator can handle or perhaps all circuits. Large loads have modules on their circuits that you can prioritize. If the load gets too big, it sheds the lowest priority load that is running. It is between the cost of 1 and 2 and usually causes little inconvenience.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We can stop replying to this thread now.

I don't think AndriyTalbot was ever interested in buying a generator but more interested in us clicking on the link (Post #1) provided for the review of a generator. Notice there have not been any replies to this thread (original OP) by AndriyTalbot. :vs_OMG:

Fishbulb28
I agree with your post #22.

I could be wrong but I don't think so people.:vs_cool:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts