DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my old Emerson motor model # S63NXJPC-7414 with a Dayton 3K384, but I don't know how to physically attach the 4 wires to the new motor (see photos in post). Black to black, red to red, copper ground to green ground post....not sure where white goes (I think it's for the switch in the house?). Anyways, the old motor has flying leads to connect to whereas the Dayton motor does not, at least I don't think it does. Any and all help is appreciated!

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Alloy wheel Rim

Hat Gas Cylinder Auto part Fluid
Material property Font Gas Electronic device Cylinder

Bicycle part Rim Machine Auto part Wire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Helmet Rim Electrical wiring
Material property Font Auto part Transparency Label

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Your old motor was 2-speed, so 1 hot for High (H) and another for Low (L).
Rectangle Font Parallel Triangle Schematic

New motor is single speed. Personally, I would cap the Red and use the black. On your new motor, Hot to 1, Neutral to 4 and Ground to the Green screw.

Reactions: Msradell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah I see...2 hot wires for the L and H settings, but for the new motor just run the single hot black wire for the single speed. Is the white wire the neutral wire?

As for physically wiring it to the new motor, how do I connect it? I'm used to using screw caps but on the new motor there's these odd terminals that the existing black and red wires connect to.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hate to differ.
Even though old motor was 2 speed, the yellow and brown wires determined motor rotation.
On the new one, the red and black determine rotation. Both are needed. Swap red and black each others terminals if rotation is wrong.
You need red and black.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Line connections are to 1 & 4; ignore the wire colors on the motor, unless you need to change the rotation.
The Neutral is white.
Unless you feed cable is stranded, bend the conductors into loops, loosen the top nuts, slide the loop onto a post with the loop going clockwise and tighten the nut. Repeat for remaining conductors.

Reactions: dgshelto

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Line connections are to 1 & 4; ignore the wire colors on the motor, unless you need to change the rotation.
The Neutral is white.
Unless you feed cable is stranded, bend the conductors into loops, loosen the top nuts, slide the loop onto a post with the loop going clockwise and tighten the nut. Repeat for remaining conductors.
I'll give it a go and report back!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Glad to have been been of help. Thanks for posting your outcome. It might help someone else later on!

Reactions: dgshelto
1 - 9 of 9 Posts