DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I Have a 16kw Generac Evolution generator. I have some questions regarding EMP. If anything like this ever happened, I was wondering if there might be a way to start and use my generator with just the 12v Battery power and bypass the electronic controls. Does anyone out there know if this is possible and if so provide some information on how to achieve?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I don't see how; electronic controls are so versatile that if they're there, they'll be in everything.

However, are you relying on a description of EMP functionality that is based on movies/TV? Hollywood does not get it right. As a result it may be giving you a very skewed perspective on your genuine EMP risks.

First, a faraday cage should stop EMP. So I would make sure the generator electronics are entirely inside one. A great example of a faraday cage is the solid steel back and sides of your microwave.

The cables from your generator to your transfer switch should also be inside a faraday cage; use metal conduit for that. (EMT will quickly fail underground; there you want Rigid).

You should be much more concerned about the power supply distribution to your house, which could fry a bunch of the stuff you hope to run on generator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you even need a generator after an EMP? Nothing electric will be working.
Some electrical items will not be disturbed by EMP. Items supplied by transformers or that have electronic controls would not work. It should not affect a well pump electric motor if not controlled by electronics.......If you needed water a generator would be helpful....

What would survive an EMP?
Simple electrical devices, such as appliances, power tools and wind generators will probably work, as long as they don't have solid-state electronic controls. The solid state controls would be destroyed by the EMP, but the motors and valves would probably still work.

·
Naildriver
16,960 Posts
To answer your question, you will most likely be able to start the generator from within the casing. You don't need the transfer switch to do that. However, as mentioned, the electronics may not work, and you would need to do rewiring just to run a pump from the generator. I can manually start my 22k on the control board inside the unit. What will be destroyed is anyone's guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.