DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2 story + basement home built in 1971. I have been renovating multiple areas of the house for a few weeks. One of my projects is to add wiring for a gigabit wired network and coax cable outlets to all bedrooms up stairs and living room. I have ran 5 x CAT6 and 5 x COAX cables from the basement to the attic (for up stairs bedrooms) through a 2" conduit I installed. I plan to come down from the attic for all of the bedrooms and up from the basement for the 1st floor jacks.

My question is more geared towards the splitting of the COAX signal. I am running 8+ direct coax cables that all terminate at my wiring closet in the basement. I have one grounded COAX cable coming into the room from the street. I plan to split the signal from 1 -> 2 (1 for all TV's and 1 for the cable modem which will be in the room).

My question is, what would you all recommend I use to split the COAX to the remaining 8 x cable runs (longest run is 150'). Do I need an amplified splitter?

Also, for those who are wondering, this is what I am using for my CAT6 Switch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ELA0SS/?tag=rowmo-20

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
Whether you need an amplified splitter is going to depend somewhat on the incoming signal level and the efficiency of the splitter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tested the signal coming in just yet, but I would imagine it would be strong. Does the number of splits (ie 1 x 8 or 10) and the cable run lengths factor into the type of splitter needed? What would be the thresholds on the incoming wire be to require a amplified signal?

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
After the cable modem splitter I would use one 1x8 splitter as opposed to a 1x2 and then two 1x4. After that I would decide if I needed an amplifier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the cable modem splitter I would use one 1x8 splitter as opposed to a 1x2 and then two 1x4. After that I would decide if I needed an amplifier.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I wanted to split the cable modem right away, then split all 8 - 10 after the cable modem is split out.

Do you all have any specific recommendations for splitters? Amplified and not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally I would use one 8 way splitter in the house and most likely an Amp would be needed given the 11db loss on an 8way. Of course you need to know your incoming signal to make the amplifier call. splitting a modem prior to the 8way does nothing for you as long as each outlet is between 4db to -7db for a digital system. any unused lines do not connect to the splitter and terminate open ports. 90% of cable problems come from withing the drop system. keep it tight.

·
JOATMON
16,500 Posts
You WILL need an amp.
1 Splitter with 2 outputs = 1/2 power at each output. (3 db drop)
A 4-way splitter = 1/4 power at each output
An 8-way? 1/8th power.....and that is being optimistic.

When I did my addition I planned ahead and ran coax and Cat6 (x2) to each room...the master BR has coax and 2 Cat's for the TV and another Cat6 on a wall for a computer. In a pinch, you can use 2 Cat's with an HDMI converter.

Under my stairs, we have what I call 'data central'. We have coax for internet. Coax comes in and goes to my 8 output amp. It's bi-directional....which means it will also amplify the internet signal going back.

I know this pic is ugly....but it works. Each room goes to a wall plate....from there I can route the connection as I need.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts