DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm connecting a new basement bath GFI outlet to the whole house bath GFI circuit. There is only one wire coming into the panel so the upstairs bath GFIs must all be hooked up in the outlet box on the main floor. How do I connect to the existing circuit? Can I connect the new black hot wire to the other slot on the exisiting breaker? Or do I have to connect the new hot black wire to the incoming black wire inside the panel box with a wire connector and then have a single pigtail wire connect to the breaker?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a new GFI receptacle in the new basement bathroom. I want to connect to standard 20amp breaker that already powers 3 GFI receptacles in bathrooms on main and upper floors of house. It would be a waste to use up the last available breaker spot in panel for 1 single bath GFI receptacle (lights and fan are already on another circuit). I'm confused, I thought it's acceptable to connect all of the bathroom GFI receptacles with one circuit as long as it's only the bath GFI receptacles and not bath fans/lights. I didn't know they cannot be on same circuit if they are on different floors. Is this code???

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
Your understanding that a single circuit can power all the receptacles in bathrooms is correct.

Some breakers will allow two conductors to be terminated to them. The other option is to pigtail.

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I'm confused, I thought it's acceptable to connect all of the bathroom GFI receptacles with one circuit... Is this code???
My comment wasn't about what is acceptable by code.
It was about the practical (and now) the redundancy of using both.

It would be a waste to use up the last available breaker spot...
Are there no other circuits in proximity to the new bath to draw on for one receptacle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your help, i cannot connect the basement bathroom GFCI receptacle to any other nearby circuit, the bath lights and fan are already connected to a separate circuit with lights outside the bathroom.

My breakers allow two conductors to be connected with 1 screw so I'll do that. The left side of the panel where the bathroom GFCI receptacle circuit is connected to is almost full (1 empty breaker spot left).

I don't have any empty screws left on the neutral/grounding bar. In a few screws in the bar I have 2 14 gauge ground wires under 1 screw. All 12 gauge ground wires have their own screw. All neutral 12 and 14 gauge wires have their own screw. To free up a screw (or two), can I safely combine 2 12 gauge grounding wire under 1 screw? Or can I combine 2 14 gauge neutral wire under 1 screw? Or should I pull the ground and neutral wire from the 2 separate screws on the bar for the existing circuit I'm connecting to, use wire connectors to connect to new wire and pigtail to the 2 screws?

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
Many ground bars will allow holes not used for neutrals to be used for 2 of the same size and material grounding conductors.

Neutrals need to be one per hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts