DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to trace a disconnected neutral issue and I have this rats nest of wires. I know one is coming from the panel because when I shut the power it's off. I know one is going directly to a receptacle because I installed that wire. What's odd is when I have the wires disconnected black is hot, white is not. But, when I connect the white neutral wires they become hot. I have no idea what's going on here. Any thoughts?

I've tried on two different receptacles so I doubt their bad, I can't picture how this would still happen if they were bad.

·
Super Moderator
21,573 Posts
Unplug everything from the down stream stream receptacle. You getting a voltage feed through the devices.

I think you have an open neutral between this point and the panel.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
While Joed may be correct, I think getting a multimeter or wiggy reading on those wires to confirm the voltage is more important.

The noncontact tester can only be relied on as a safety check to tell you something may be hot in the box. It can easily be set off by nearby wires. It is telling you to get out your multimeter or wiggy for further testing, or kill the power.

The noncontact tester is not a diagnostic instrument.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts