DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a ceiling out of plywood and then using trim to seperate into 4' x 4' panels. It is mounting inside a steel building.

The way its going up with the differences in plywood and the bluestains I am thinking maybe it would look good covered with a white pickle. I did this to the T&G and it looked good.

I had them clear zinser shellac the plywood before going up. Would a pickle penetrate this? The shellac was applied at the can thickness.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...I will probably try this tomorrow on a sample anyways!

here is the ceiling progress so far:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey bones, that's a pretty wild blue! A pickle solution comes in one of two forms, water or oil-based. Unfortunately for you, neither one will work on top of your clear shellac. :p Both the water-based and the oil need to soak a bit into the wood fiber, and once you've sealed it up with a topcoat product like shellac (or polyurethane) this process can no longer occur. Apart from sanding those panels, and then applying the pickle, I'm not too sure how you might get the pickle to adhere and stay put.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paint, especially water down, wouldn't really go over it very well either. Part of the reason is most paints nowadays are latex or water-based so they won't stick to your shellac-based product. Even though you could probably get it to stick initially it may not last very long after, and if you ever have to clean those frames you'll most likely have a mess of paint chips or flaking occurring.

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
we have done some pickling, usually Mixing about 25% water to a gallon of acrylic paint, roll and brush it on, letting it set for a few minutes, then ragging it off, I have never pickled over fresh shellac, that might be a problem, beings the paint can't soak into the grain, give it a shot on a panel and see how it goes. If it does not work at least you'll be able to wipe all the paint off, because the would is sealed

·
(the original)
695 Posts
Just a thought here. Tint some of your Bulls Eye with something like Mixol's Oxide White, then thin it down to about a 1# cut (out of the can it's 3#) and try wiping it on. The extra alcohol should dissolve the existing finish and allow some penetration. If it has multiple coats already you might have to wipe it down with denatured alcohol to remove some of shellac first.
I'd test on a scrap piece, and if it works, take the panels down to refinish. The alcohol fumes would be hellish up close to the ceiling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.