DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our kitchen sink faucet (Rohl R77v3) keeps having flow problems. The first time, both hot & cold water slowed to a trickle. I replaced the sink hose and the problem disappeared. A couple months later, the hot water flow became weak but cold was fine. I replaced the faucet cartridge and nothing changed, but then later in the day, my housemate heard "a sound" within the faucet and suddenly the hot water pressure came back. Two days later, both hot & cold water pressure reduced to about half pressure, and that's where we are today.

I'm guessing some obstruction is traveling through the pipes, possibly emanating from the hot water supply since the hot water pressure had a problem by itself. Our house has an indirect-fired water heater that's 12 years old.

Meanwhile, the faucet keeps accumulating white particles in the aerator. I assume it's lime scale, but my community (Newton MA) has soft water, 16 PPM / mg/L or 1 grain per gallon. See the attached photo just 3 days after cleaning the kitchen aerator.

My questions are:
  • Can you have lime scale with soft water to this extent? If so, what can be done about it? (And if not, what are these white particles?)
  • Do indirect-fired water heaters need interior cleaning now & then? (Ours is on an annual maintenance contract with our heating company.)
  • Anybody know a clever way to clean a sink hose of obstructions? Pressured air? Long pipe cleaners? Trained insects? :)
Any tips appreciated!

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
If the white parts are thought to have come from the water heater, is the water heater gas or Electric?
Electric it could be that the heating elements are breaking down, Water as hot as it was before?
If your on a well you will know it by the well head some place around the house and on the other side the septic tank ..
Softener could be a bit better but it is still with in the range of soft water.
I would be looking at the water heater.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
Our kitchen sink faucet (Rohl R77v3) keeps having flow problems. The first time, both hot & cold water slowed to a trickle. I replaced the sink hose and the problem disappeared. A couple months later, the hot water flow became weak but cold was fine. I replaced the faucet cartridge and nothing changed, but then later in the day, my housemate heard "a sound" within the faucet and suddenly the hot water pressure came back. Two days later, both hot & cold water pressure reduced to about half pressure, and that's where we are today.

I'm guessing some obstruction is traveling through the pipes, possibly emanating from the hot water supply since the hot water pressure had a problem by itself. Our house has an indirect-fired water heater that's 12 years old.

Meanwhile, the faucet keeps accumulating white particles in the aerator. I assume it's lime scale, but my community (Newton MA) has soft water, 16 PPM / mg/L or 1 grain per gallon. See the attached photo just 3 days after cleaning the kitchen aerator.

View attachment 642570

My questions are:
  • Can you have lime scale with soft water to this extent? If so, what can be done about it? (And if not, what are these white particles?)
  • Do indirect-fired water heaters need interior cleaning now & then? (Ours is on an annual maintenance contract with our heating company.)
  • Anybody know a clever way to clean a sink hose of obstructions? Pressured air? Long pipe cleaners? Trained insects? :)
Any tips appreciated!
Could be calcium build up from wh either from the tank itself or dip tube deterioration.

You said wh gets serviced every year by heating company, what exately is included in the service?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I note that some "indirect fired" tanks have anode rods to keep them from rusting. I would definitely find out if your annual maintenance contract includes flushing and replacing the anode rod.

·
Registered
appliances
1,156 Posts
Had the same thing years ago.
The plumber said there was a recall on the WH plastic dip tube which is disintegrating.
My particles were shaped shell-like.
It was repaired for free but I had to go around and remove all the aerators.

·
Usually Confused
7,785 Posts
Sixteen ppm is decently soft, but not devoid of minerals although that amount of accumulation after a few days is curious. I would have the water tested. Some municipalities draw their water from different sources so different zones might have different values.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My heating contractor cleaned our (indirect fired) water heater. He said there was some sludge at the bottom, but no white calcification. I'll have to wait and see if this had an effect on the granules appearing in our aerators.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I found more white particles clogging my kitchen sink hose, and guess what? They appear to be plastic and slightly fibrous. They remind me of the shreds that result from sawing a PVC pipe, but I'm not an expert. The water lines to the sink are copper and blue plastic, not white.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
So no help. It's still being clogged with white matter.

I zoomed in and still can't really make out what it is other than it's a white substance.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
you say it feels like plastic and slightly fiborous. It could be material from a plumbing job that has finally surfaced. not likely, but I don't know what else it could be.

Maybe dip tube? that's plastic and could be white or blue in color. Any problem with hot water going cold too soon?

Sure hope you get it figured out and flushed out soon db.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Could plastic somewhere in the pipes cause this?
PVC, CPVC?
In some areas they use PVC for main lines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts