DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Found a plate covering an electrical outlet box in a closet.

Opened it up and found white, black, neutral, and an orange wire.

I believe it is for a 220v outlet. Can I just wire an outlet to the white, black,and neutral wires - skipping the orange wire - and have a 110v outlet?

Thanks for the help.

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
Have you proved it has power and that it is 240 volts?
White is usually neutral and green or bear copper is ground.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
It's common for novices to confuse neutral and ground, especially if they have "bitten from the fruit of the tree of knowledge" by having seen the neutral bar inside a typical main panel where both neutrals and grounds are connected to each other (talk about confusing!) Neutral, of course, being the normal, intended current return path, and ground being a safety shield that is only bonded with neutral to keep neutral at 0V.

In any case, you can't tell what's going on there without measuring. That's what Code even says. Code opposes trying to have national standards for hot wire colors, other than 'don't use neutral or ground colors'.

Anyway, the #1 thing is make sure the circuit breaker size is correct for the receptacle you are trying to install. Typical circuit breaker prices are $12 for a 2-pole type, so you have no excuse lol.

#2 is I think I've seen something in Code about receptacles in clothes closets, so I'd check that.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
No NEC prohibition against a receptacle in a closet.

Reactions: seharper

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Just the 4.. White, black, bare, orange.
In a closet......orange wire.....I assume it is not in a cable and it is individual wires run in conduit.....wondering if it might be for a interconnected fire alarm......is the closet sort of part of the bedroom......

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Until he checks the wires for voltage , just a shot in the dark . Could be 3 12 with ground or whatever size it is , for who knows what originally.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
Yes, they used orange back in the day around here for switch legs and travelers for ages.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
Curious....You're from Madison Wis I think.....is there alot of residential conduit around there.????

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
"bitten from the fruit of the tree of knowledge"
It is "interesting" that you are one of the few persons who seem to know that it was "the fruit of the tree of knowledge - (of Good and Evil)" and NOT an Apple which was referred to in a certain book.

·
Registered
appliances
2,332 Posts
It is "interesting" that you are one of the few persons who seem to know that it was "the fruit of the tree of knowledge - (of Good and Evil)" and NOT an Apple which was referred to in a certain book.
You're off the reservation! :D

white, black, neutral, and an orange wire.
There might be a half dozen places each of these wires may go.
What you will get by taking these 2 or three at a time is anybody's guess.
Make measurements, watch out for phantom voltages, find a known good ground.

You can do it, we can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you proved it has power and that it is 240 volts?
White is usually neutral and green or bear copper is ground.
Thanks for the replies. The line is dead. Not connected at the breaker. Covering it back up and forgetting about it.

·
Registered
appliances
2,332 Posts
Sometimes I am the next person who wonders why I did or did not do something.
And now in the present I might have a reason for doing differently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts