DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - I am getting a gas fireplace installed and the fireplace company asked me to modify the electrical outlet shown below to a 110v whip with a 2 feet slack for the fireplace to be plugged into. I need to submit the fireplace permit along with the electrical permit together. I am having a difficult time finding an electrician for this. Can someone please let me know if this is fairly common and easy to do? Pages 44-45 in the manual below show the electrical connection.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,593 Posts
Can't open the attachment for whatever reason. Can't offer much without seeing the manufacturer's instructions.

Some jurisdictions require a hard-wire heating appliance to be on a dedicated circuit.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My guess is to remove the receptacle and connect a whip to a blank plate with a KO in it. My only concern is, with fireplace in place, will you have access to the connections? You may need to relocate the recePtacle to a location outside of the fireplace. You can use a metal box in the wall so you can connect the whip and run it thru the wall and out into the fireplace.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't open the attachment for whatever reason. Can't offer much without seeing the manufacturer's instructions.

Some jurisdictions require a hard-wire heating appliance to be on a dedicated circuit.
I changed the attachment to picture. Can you check now?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is to remove the receptacle and connect a whip to a blank plate with a KO in it. My only concern is, with fireplace in place, will you have access to the connections? You may need to relocate the recePtacle to a location outside of the fireplace. You can use a metal box in the wall so you can connect the whip and run it thru the wall and out into the fireplace.
How would this work? Where would the whip connect to?

·
retired framer
47,228 Posts
Move that outlet to outside the fireplace and feed a lead to where the fireplace will be.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,593 Posts
Can you check now?

Not much for manufacturer's requirements other than it's recommended to not be on the same circuit as a TV.

If you think you will still need that outlet for something else then Nealtw's suggestion has merit. Might not be as easy as it sounds though.

If you don't need the outlet for anything else, I would install a surface box extender like this:

Whip out of the box, a blank cover or re-install the receptacle if there's room to plug something in and you are good to go. Good thing about this set-up is it can be easily put back to original should the fireplace ever be taken out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much for manufacturer's requirements other than it's recommended to not be on the same circuit as a TV.

If you think you will still need that outlet for something else then Nealtw's suggestion has merit. Might not be as easy as it sounds though.

If you don't need the outlet for anything else, I would install a surface box extender like this:

Whip out of the box, a blank cover or re-install the receptacle if there's room to plug something in and you are good to go. Good thing about this set-up is it can be easily put back to original should the fireplace ever be taken out.
I don't think I want to go through the trouble of relocating the outlet. If I use the current one to create the whip, what should I do with the part you have posted as a picture? Am I adding it on top of the current outlet or removing the cover of the current outlet and use the wire to create the whip?

·
Licenced Electrician
1,593 Posts
Remove the receptacle and cover. Install the extender I showed (2 x 6-32 screws to attach to the existing box). Use the existing receptacle wires to attach/create the whip. If you pigtail the wires, you could reinstall the receptacle if you want. Or, simply install a blank cover.

This gives you access to create a whip without poking holes in your drywall.

·
retired framer
47,228 Posts

Remove the receptacle and cover. Install the extender I showed (2 x 6-32 screws to attach to the existing box). Use the existing receptacle wires to attach/create the whip. If you pigtail the wires, you could reinstall the receptacle if you want. Or, simply install a blank cover.

This gives you access to create a whip without poking holes in your drywall.
There will be a fireplace surround, You are are not advising a hidden junction box are you?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the advise I was given on another group. Does this make sense?

Go home depot n buy a very short roll of # 14 bx cable.. it's metal coted electric cable. Buy 1 straight bx connector 3/8 × 1/2 inch knockout. You can google that. 1 metal receptacle cover with a round knockout hole in it. Shut off the power to that outlet at your breaker box. Take apart the outlet. You'll have 1 cable that comes through the back of the existing box in the wall. Put the knock out connector into the metal cover, have all 3 wires peeled back n stripped on the bx cable, leave about 3 inches of wire so using wire nuts...just tie the bx cable wires to your existing wiring in the box in the wall, ofcourse you've already disconnected the recepticle ie plug. Tie the wires together and screw the metal cover on. Do not turn the power back on until their done with the fireplace

·
Licenced Electrician
1,593 Posts
There will be a fireplace surround, You are are not advising a hidden junction box are you?
Nope. But from a hearth pad on the floor I can't tell if the surround is removable or not. I was merely offering a suggestion to get a whip out of that outlet.Another option might be to follow the gas line from below with the whip.

Actually, the only thing I can tell from the picture is it will be hard to test the final gas connections before firing.

·
retired framer
47,228 Posts
Nope. But from a hearth pad on the floor I can't tell if the surround is removable or not. I was merely offering a suggestion to get a whip out of that outlet.Another option might be to follow the gas line from below with the whip.

Actually, the only thing I can tell from the picture is it will be hard to test the final gas connections before firing.
Does this help?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spoke to inspector. I cannot put outlet behind fireplace. I need to relocate outlet and add a whip.

·
retired framer
47,228 Posts
If you open that outlet and see if there is just one cable coming from the left it would be easy enough.
But you have outlets about every 6 ft around the room so you could find 2 cables and then there will be much more to it.

Or maybe that outlet could be turned around and be a new exterior outlet on the other side of the wall.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts