DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our condo walls are drywall covered with a thin 'swirled' plaster layer. I am having a problem using plastic drywall anchors on this wall when installing towel rods.

I purchased 2 towel rods that came with screw type plastic drywall anchors. See the attached picture for an example of this type of anchor. I drilled pilot holes with a diameter equal to the shaft diameter of the anchor. Then I screwed the anchors into the wall. This worked well until the last few turns. As the head of the anchor reached the plaster, the head cracked. Perhaps the plaster was too hard for the anchor which is why the head cracked? I did not tighten the anchor too hard so that is not the problem.

Am I using the wrong anchors for this installation? Should I have purchased different anchors for this type of wall and not used the ones that came with the towel rod? (I would love to blame my problem on the anchors!! :smile:)

Is there a problem with my technique?

Anything else? Thank you!!!

Attachments

·
Exterior Construction
26,701 Posts
What cracked? The actual Phillips head part of the anchor or did you just hear a "crack"?

This type of anchor cracks the tip to bridge the opening and reinforce the opening. It normally does this when you thread in the screw, but if the opening isn't that deep, it might be initiating that crack from the lack of depth.

·
Usually Confused
6,537 Posts
If the first three went in ok, there might be something behind the wall at the forth point that bound the anchor. If the head managed to get flush, the anchor should still work

This type of anchor cracks the tip to bridge the opening and reinforce the opening. It normally does this when you thread in the screw, but if the opening isn't that deep, it might be initiating that crack from the lack of depth.
Could you 'splain that a little more, WoW? Tnx

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Unfortunately this product received poor reviews on the Home Depot web site. People reported that the product failed!! Can someone explain why? Did the folks use it wrong?
When you say this product, which product are you referring to ?
EZ Anchor and Hillman make similar looking products.

Taking a random HD customer opinion on a product is dangerous. A lot of HD employees don't know much. Some customers know even less.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have always had excellent results with the screw in anchors you show in post 1.

So the anchor snapped and you were not even torqueing it very hard? I can't explain that. But that is a good type of anchor for drywall in my opinion. Go to hardware store and buy a few more.

Maybe if the wall was not flat (due to texture) you were putting a bend into the anchor with the final turn. But still would not expect it to break -- just grasping at straws for an explanation.

·
Naildriver
10,613 Posts
People reported that the product failed!!
Not sure which one you are referring to. He didn't show EZ Toggle, which is rated up to 100 lbs of shear strength. Look into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts