DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Yeh French guy, we don't tile toilets here! :surprise: Just walls, floors and counters. How you doing? Decided to be a DIYer. Tile on a wall in a dry area is about as simple as it gets. :wink2:

I would use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 as the base trowel for any manufactured tile 8" and over up to 13-14" or so. But it all depends on how you mix the thinset, the angle you hold the trowel and of course the thickness of the tiles. Be sure you also back-butter those tiles.

Direct to drywall, must be a powder room huh?

Jaz

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh French guy, we don't tile toilets here! :surprise: Just walls, floors and counters. How you doing? Decided to be a DIYer. Tile on a wall in a dry area is about as simple as it gets. :wink2:

I would use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 as the base trowel for any manufactured tile 8" and over up to 13-14" or so. But it all depends on how you mix the thinset, the angle you hold the trowel and of course the thickness of the tiles. Be sure you also back-butter those tiles.

Jaz
Hey neighbor......I'm doing good, thank you
Ooops, yes I meant powder room.........:wink2:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Jaz
By the way, what is the optimal angle for the trowel against the wall? Is it 90 deg, which will give the thicker layer of thinset?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
It's impossible to hold the darn thing at 90 deg. and apply pressure with the thinset against the surface. I'm guessing the best angle range will be close to 50 deg or so. I'd have to be doing it and I'd know by the feel and results. Make sure you apply more than enough thinset, then remove the excess with straight even strokes.

Did I mention to "burn" the wall with thinset using the flat side of the trowel first, then apply more to gage, and butter the backs?

Jaz

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's impossible to hold the darn thing at 90 deg. and apply pressure with the thinset against the surface. I'm guessing the best angle range will be close to 50 deg or so. I'd have to be doing it and I'd know by the feel and results. Make sure you apply more than enough thinset, then remove the excess with straight even strokes.

Did I mention to "burn" the wall with thinset using the flat side of the trowel first, then apply more to gage, and butter the backs?

Jaz
"Burn the wall"......like a Crème brûlée, with a propane torch?:vs_lol:
Seriously, it's like a skim coat?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Yup, that's it. :biggrin2::chef: Skim the wall to get a good mechanical bond, then apply the normal amount.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Any modified thinset will work, I'd use white. Spend min. mid teens per bag. The good stuff is closer to $30, but you don't need it for this project. It'll say modified or polymer modified or enhanced etc. It meets ANSI A118.4 and/or A118.11 The latter is better.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Versabond is plenty good enough for this project. Leave the pre-mixed stuff on the shelves to collect dust.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
No priming needed or wanted. You can float the wall to remove shallow waves up to ¼" with thinset. May have to do more than one app. Versabond will work just fine. Be sure to mix it correctly, otherwise it will droop on the wall.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
No, too thin is not good for any purpose. Nice and thick as normal like mashed potatoes.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Well, you don't wanna mix #50 at a time. Start with 10-15 lbs depending on what you're doing. I never measure, just pour some water in bucket, then add powder till it's right. But you can measure and weigh until you get the "feel".

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
of course................. All I know is what you write.

Jaz

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.