DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be selling my home this year.
The home is a 2-story. 2000 sq ft. aluminum siding.

The siding along with the concrete steps need a power wash.

I was thinking about buying a pressure washer.
How powerful of a unit should I buy?
I am looking at a SnowJoe brand, but I know nothing about this.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
My opinion, others may disagree, a 1500 psi electric pressure washer is all you need for general cleaning and doing no damage. It won't be a fast as a larger unit but it will cost a lot less and greatly reduce your chance of destroying something.

Wet the bottom portion and start at the top. Never spray upwards as you can drive water under the siding. A short gun is a lot easier to control when working on an extension ladder. They are usually an add on item with all washers.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,337 Posts
I agree, all you need is an electric power washer.

Easier to handle, won't damage as easily as a high power one.

For a 2 story building, rent a stable scaffolding to stand on, not a ladder, that way you are securer, and can cover more area faster, than up the ladder, down the ladder, move over 4 feet, up the ladder, down the ladder, move over 4 feet, etc.

And use the wide area tip on the gun, those pinpoint nozzles, will drill a hole in the aluminum, even with the low pressure washer.

I have a K-Archer electric, and like it quite well.

One tip, in a colder climate store your power washer in a warm environment over the winter, any water left in the pressure chamber will break it, and you need repairs.

ED

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not realize that I cannot stand on the ground and do this. :eek:
Lesson learn.

Since I am not keen on getting on scaffolding and such, it looks like I need to hire someone.

Do all power wash companies follow this procedure or do I need to specifically ask?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,337 Posts
They should want to protect themselves from falling also, so should use safe-way scaffolding, but ask anyway.

And make sure that your insurance is in full force, just in case.

And they should want to protect any landscape.

Bushes, and such.

ED

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I have a gas pressure washer and a extension pole that I use for keeping the house clean. But I wash the house using only the low pressure nozzle.
I found a recipe online for a homemade house wash. It uses bleach, dish soap and water and does an absolutely amazing job. I’ve used it on my house, fence, deck and even on the awning on my RV and it’s better then any store bought product. Plus I don’t have the worries on using a high pressure nozzle on the house. And I can do the entire 2 story house from the ground with no ladders or scaffolding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a gas pressure washer and a extension pole that I use for keeping the house clean. But I wash the house using only the low pressure nozzle.
I found a recipe online for a homemade house wash. It uses bleach, dish soap and water and does an absolutely amazing job. I’ve used it on my house, fence, deck and even on the awning on my RV and it’s better then any store bought product. Plus I don’t have the worries on using a high pressure nozzle on the house. And I can do the entire 2 story house from the ground with no ladders or scaffolding.
Can you tell me which model pressure washer you have?
I will be either purchasing electric or cordless model.

Also the recipe would be very helpful too. :smile:

This gives me hope.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I have a Toro gas powered model from Lowes, I think it’s been superseded by a Craftsman model that basically the same thing with a different name badge.
I have modified it with a downstream injector so the bleach solution gets injected into the high pressure line, I do this to not harm the pump by pushing bleach through it.
Here is where I got the idea. His other videos show application of the product using a pressure washer.

I’ve never had an issue with harming plants or grass with this mixture. I apply it and give it a good rinse. Used as shown it’ll melt the green growth off of your house or fence or whatever else your trying to clean.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I had a Stanley electric pressure washer and it worked OK for light duty stuff... but even though it has sufficient pressure it lacked volume, so it was slow. It died, but instead of getting another I got a ~3000 PSI Generac gas unit that works much better and faster. And also tackles more heavy duty stuff. I also have one of those driveway UFO looking tools like Ron shows above and it works great.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
I agree a smaller pressure washer is generally better than a bigger unit. If care isn't used damage can result from improper use! I want to 2nd the statement Never spray upwards as you can drive water under the siding. I also think it's easier to work off of a ladder than using a long wand - they can be hard to control plus take a lot more effort to hold onto.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Do all power wash companies follow this procedure or do I need to specifically ask?

Always ask a contractor about important issues regarding the job.

Any idiot can buy a PW and call himself a contractor.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
This thread reminds me that it is almost time to get mine out and ready for the season. I hope it runs. I didn't drain the gas last fall... got a little lazy. Never had that issue with my old electric Stanley!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I agree a smaller pressure washer is generally better than a bigger unit. If care isn't used damage can result from improper use! I want to 2nd the statement Never spray upwards as you can drive water under the siding. I also think it's easier to work off of a ladder than using a long wand - they can be hard to control plus take a lot more effort to hold onto.
That’s the nice part about the soft wash. No need to use the high pressure nozzles. Makes the want that much easier. Plus the bleach kills the bacteria that caused the growth and it doesn’t come right back. I washed my house last spring and there isn’t anything growing back yet.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
Plus the bleach kills the bacteria that caused the growth and it doesn’t come right back

Bleach is my go to cleaner - its' cheap and effective.
Mildew growth has a lot to do with climate. When I lived in central fla I had to wash my mobile home [aluminum] every year. The north side needed it every 6 months.

It's always mystified me that some will put a house up for sale and not wash the siding as it's one of the cheaper things you can do to improve curb appeal.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Never thought these word would come out of my mouth, but can you share your recipe.

I have been using wet and forget but if there is a home brew that works, I would like to try it

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Never thought these word would come out of my mouth, but can you share your recipe.

I have been using wet and forget but if there is a home brew that works, I would like to try it
See post #8, I posted the YouTube link yesterday.
The solution used will come available soon as it’s marketed for pools in Walmart.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Damn, that's a 27+ minute video. Do you have a cliffs notes version of the recipe?

See post #8, I posted the YouTube link yesterday.
The solution used will come available soon as it’s marketed for pools in Walmart.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I don’t think the name on the pressure washer is as important as the name on the engine.

A lot of different name brands have Honda engine models. They start easier, are very reliable, and are generally quieter running than the other engines out there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts