DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been remodeling my house for a few years now, but I've always hired someone to do the plumbing. Now I have about 2 pex heating connections to deal with in an upstairs bedroom. I think I'd like to buy a pex crimping tool since I still have a few rooms to go and they all will need heating moved.

It's not rocket science, right? My biggest worry is a leak on the second floor, and getting the sheetrock wet in the ceiling.

If you agree that it's not difficult to do, which cripper do I need?

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,886 Posts
Ayuh,...... I bought this one, 'bout 10 years ago,....

Used it Alotta times, without a leak,.....
Both domestic, 'n hydronic work,.....

Watts,...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I used the kind that crimps copper rings for a long time. It worked well but I had to plan ahead in tight spaces. Last year I bought one that uses the stainless rings and it fits in tight places better. I rarely use the old one any more and probably won’t use it at all after I run out of rings.
Amazon has plumbing parts and tools for half of the cost of our local places.

·
Registered
212 Posts
In my opinion the uponor type system using PEX A is the best. The tool is a bit pricey for the DIYer. I have watched numerous videos and comparisons. The systems uses little plastic collars that go over the outside of the pex and you use the tool to expand the pipe then insert the fitting and the pipe relaxes back around the fitting. There several benefits. 1. the pipe always wants to go back to it's original shape which makes it lock around the fitting. where the other type of connectors you are crimping the pipe to shrink around the fitting. This system is you are expanding it to fit the fitting which brings up benefit number 2. you have a continuous inside diameter throughout your system. With other systems, the fittings are actually smaller than the pipe and lower your flows. Not a big deal in one or two fittings but can be in larger systems. One other benefit of this system is the use of PEX A which if crimped can be heated and have the crimp removed. It's quite amazing to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Uponor is, also in my opinion, the best system out there. There are other Pex A systems but Uponor is the pioneer. Another advantage is that you cannot dry fit with the system which means the fitting won't go in the pipe without expanding the pipe first so no missed crimp.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Uponor is a great system but it is pricy and home centers generally have little to none of it. For a homeowner, the stainless crimp rings work well. In a former life I was a county inspector, and having inspected hundreds if not thousands of installations I have never found a pro who uses the Uponor or any expanding system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts