DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I have an older GE oven and we're getting a sporadic code F3, which I'm told if (likely) an issue with the temperature sensor.
But I'm not 100% sure which part that is. I THINK it's the one pictured (B) which is attached to the back with two screws....but if that's the case, what exactly is the other thing pictured, (A) the really really long copper looking thing, held along the inside of the oven with two clips? they both look like temperature sensors.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,580 Posts
Hey all

I have an older GE oven and we're getting a sporadic code F3, which I'm told if (likely) an issue with the temperature sensor.
But I'm not 100% sure which part that is. I THINK it's the one pictured (B) which is attached to the back with two screws....but if that's the case, what exactly is the other thing pictured, (A) the really really long copper looking thing, held along the inside of the oven with two clips? they both look like temperature sensors.

View attachment 646899 View attachment 646900
A is what I know as a thermocouple temp sensor.

The B is maybe a self cleaning thing?

Can you lookup your make / model, on the internet, and check the makers manual?

ED

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A is what I know as a thermocouple temp sensor.

The B is maybe a self cleaning thing?

Can you lookup your make / model, on the internet, and check the makers manual?

ED
This is why I'm so confused. The model of my GE oven is JCSP28GT1BB.
According to an OEM part distributor nearby the object in picture B is actually the "oven sensor". It listed as part number GEH-WB21X5301.
for example, here it is:
GE WB21X5301 Oven Sensor - Easy Appliance Parts

I figured "oven sensor" meant oven temperature sensor....so I am confused as to what is pictured in image A. You are saying it's a thermocouple temp sensor...so it looks like there are 2 temp sensors? I'm so confused....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, so the really long one is part of a thermostat.
the sensor you linked me to...doesn’t explicitly say it’a the correct model, or it fits my model of oven. Will it still work? Are they somewhat universal?

·
retired framer
45,299 Posts
Ah, so the really long one is part of a thermostat.
the sensor you linked me to...doesn’t explicitly say it’a the correct model, or it fits my model of oven. Will it still work? Are they somewhat universal?
I was just showing what comes up with each name. So you can find the one you need.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.....I am counting on these forums to not be too harsh when someone, namely myself, does something phenomenally stupid.

Clearly the temp sensor is at fault. So, before ordering a third party (compatible) replacement sensor, I decided to see if I was going to have any problems pulling the sensor and wire clip into the oven interior to replace it. To provide light, I used a plastic camping battery powered lantern. That's important for later.
So, I encountered some resistance pulling the wire clip in, so instead of forcing it, I decided to check out the back of the oven and access it that way.
Opened a metal guard and accessed the sensor wire and clip. Low and behold, it was really really frayed at the clip, certainly shorting out. So, I cut the wires at the clip, both sides, and used a few wire nuts to connect them. Put everything back....and everyting works now! No error code, temperature reading rising correctly. I was actually quite proud of what I had done.

20 minutes in to heating oven to 450, black smoke starts pouring out of the top of the stove, from the oven.
Killed the oven and killed all the power to the oven. Looked INSODE the oven. And, you guessed it, there's the camping lantern.

So, the good news is I solved my oven problem with a few wire nuts.

The bad news is that other than feeling like a complete idiot for leaving the lantern in there, I am getting a fair amount of burning plastic smell when using the oven, although we have cleaned all the melted plastic off the oven floor. There is still some soot on the oven ceiling and walls we have yet to clean off.

My question is
A: where can I get a new brain
B: how to eliminate the smell? I'm worried it might have gotten into the oven's internal blower or insulation and will NEVER come out. Should we try running the self cleaning burning process, and does it sound like that might solve the problem?

·
retired framer
45,299 Posts
You don't gain experience with out screwing things up from time to time.
Not sure what you do about the burnt smell.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,580 Posts
Reminded me of years ago, when my kid sister was a teenager.

She was making Oatmeal Scotchies.

For those that don't know that is Oatmeal cookies with Butterscotch chips.

MMM GOOD,

Anyway back to the story, she preheated the oven, without looking inside, suddenly there was a burned plastic smell, and then she realized that some Tupperware had been stored in the oven, because all the cabinets were full.
What a mess that was, melted bowls, dripping all over.

Had to clean it up.

Used Easy-off oven cleaner.

Still the smell, so ran the self-cleaning feature.

That almost got rid of the smell.

It took a few more cleanings to rid the oven of the smell.

So OP run your self-cleaning cycle a time or two.

ED

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I still feel like an idiot! Such as glorious moment of victory, having fixed the oven without spending a dime. (my wife had already starting browsing on Home Depot for a new oven....our little joke was that she was going to come downstairs in the middle of the night and sabotage my handiwork)
Well, I DID pay 25$ for a new and much better camping lantern, so that's a plus.

I'm going to try the self cleaning process on Tuesday once my daughter is out of the house, and I can leave the windows and front door open.

I guess I was just a bit scared that the soot is what's smelling, and perhaps the soot had worked it's way in to the internal cooling blower, which would be a whole new world of pain to try to remove and clean. But now I think that's ridiculous. Clearly the smell is from trace amounts of plastic on the oven walls that burn when the oven is on.

I'll do the self cleaning. thanks again!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reminded me of years ago, when my kid sister was a teenager.

She was making Oatmeal Scotchies.

For those that don't know that is Oatmeal cookies with Butterscotch chips.

MMM GOOD,

Anyway back to the story, she preheated the oven, without looking inside, suddenly there was a burned plastic smell, and then she realized that some Tupperware had been stored in the oven, because all the cabinets were full.
What a mess that was, melted bowls, dripping all over.

Had to clean it up.

Used Easy-off oven cleaner.

Still the smell, so ran the self-cleaning feature.

That almost got rid of the smell.

It took a few more cleanings to rid the oven of the smell.

So OP run your self-cleaning cycle a time or two.

ED
Yep, thanks, that took care of it. One solid cleaning cycle seemed to kill the smell off.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
You might want to buy porcelain wire nuts if you used normal plastic ones. I know the temp sensor for my gas oven came with them. Can buy on Amazon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might want to buy porcelain wire nuts if you used normal plastic ones. I know the temp sensor for my gas oven came with them. Can buy on Amazon.
That's a good idea. I am using plastic ones, but my rationale is that the wires are bundled in the back with plastic ties, original. I don't think it gets hot back there. I even put my hand back there to feel for heat during a self-clean, and it felt a touch warm, but that's it.
That said, I think you make excellent point....I will pick up some porcelain ones from amazon and swap them out. Will ceramic ones do just as well?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts