DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Any thoughts on what materials can be used to make an industrial shelf like the one shown in the picture attached here .. ?
In particular I am interested in the type of metal uses and the other items and where should I start looking to source them ?

raul

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,110 Posts
The problem with using ALLTHREAD, is the expense.

And the sharp edges of the threads.

Since I already have a threading kit, I would buy plain rod and cut to length, and thread just the ends that needed it.

Might try to thread 3/8 plain pipe, cut to length.

ED

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks .and for the pipe itself . It seems to be a plumbing pipe as some other have suggested . Is that a certain plumbing pipe make I should look out for of around 10 mm dia ... ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The weight will be like the ones shown in the picture which is not much so I think a 10 mm pipe galvanized steel pipe would suffice .. ?

regarding the pipe tee , how do the pipe tee's get bolted onto the wall like in the picture . I tried looking for reducing Tee's and similar but couldn't come up with something which was long enough to neatly hook the pipe attached to the pipe nipple to the wall ..

I saw some of the videos posted here but they have an elbow joint with the pipe connected to the wall in an L and flanged to the wall . Any thoughts on how can the pipe be held on the ceiling as shown .

many thanks ..

Attachments

·
Usually Confused
8,089 Posts
The weight will be like the ones shown in the picture which is not much so I think a 10 mm pipe galvanized steel pipe would suffice .. ?

regarding the pipe tee , how do the pipe tee's get bolted onto the wall like in the picture . I tried looking for reducing Tee's and similar but couldn't come up with something which was long enough to neatly hook the pipe attached to the pipe nipple to the wall ..

I saw some of the videos posted here but they have an elbow joint with the pipe connected to the wall in an L and flanged to the wall . Any thoughts on how can the pipe be held on the ceiling as shown .

many thanks ..

Ten millimeters is about 3/8". Depending on where you are you might have difficulty sourcing rigid pipe with that outside diameter.
Don't over-estimate the load bearing capacity of the ceiling, or under-estimate the weight of both the structure and what you will put on it. Most common ceiling material is not designed to hold much of any weight beyond itself.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
The image shelf is industrial in look only but is really refined. The couplings and the tees as noted are made for this shelf, and will not find anything like them from the box store shelf. The tee even may have set screws built in. The pipes will not give you the same look.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

10mm might be sufficient to hold the weight, but looks rather wimpy (IMHO). Something more substantial, 20mm - 25mm might look better.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Another possibility would be to buy some 1"OD x .125" wall tubing. This should be rather inexpensive if you can find a local steel supplier. You can support the shelves with a one-piece or two-piece shaft collar (from McMaster Carr or others). You could also use set-screw collars (they would be cheaper), but they would not really be adjustable --- I would not rely on the set screw pushing on the tube, you would wand to drill a small hole in the tube so that the set screw positively engages into the tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The image shelf is industrial in look only but is really refined. The couplings and the tees as noted are made for this shelf, and will not find anything like them from the box store shelf. The tee even may have set screws built in. The pipes will not give you the same look.
yeah , i haven't been able to find similar tee's . It may look a bit awkward if the screws with the pipe tee dont match and are not a perfect fit ( although it may be pseudo as suggested by someone ..
too many small devils in the details

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.