DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which was the best forum for this question, but I thought I'd start here. I need advise on what is the best type of adhesive/glue to use for a particular purpose. We have an old physician balance beam scale, with a platform that you stand on. There's a paper-backed covering that you stand on, and that covering is starting to peel off at the edges and corners. I think what it's glued to is made of plastic. What would be the correct adhesive to use to glue it back on? I happen to have Titebond III wood glue as well as multi-purpose Elmer's, but I'm assuming neither of those would be appropriate. I've attached two pics. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JasperST said:
I would use contact cement, which is probably what it was originally done with. Tape off what you don't want glue to get on, brush a coat on both surfaces and wait for it to tack up, then press it down. A roller would help.
I did just what you said. Taped it off, brushed it on both surfaces, removed the tape, waited 15-20 minutes, then pressed it down and rolled it tightly flat with a wallpaper roller. I was amazed at how well it seemed to bond. Right now I have it sitting under a flat metal surface with 20 pounds of weight on it to make sure it doesn't curl up until it's completely dry. Will check on it tomorrow. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.