DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Exterior Construction
30,009 Posts
Do you use Jet Dry? The sheeting action helps the water slide off the dishes making for more efficient drying.

Don't like the idea of chemicals and I never needed in my old builders grade one before.

Might have to try it...but hate that the new "fancy pants" one doesn't do it and the old one that sounded like a freight train coming down the tracks did!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Also, when phosphates were eliminated from dishwasher detergent, cleaning power was also reduced,

This is true. My dishwasher stopped cleaning very well when they phased out the phosphates. My son told me about Bubble Bandit, which contains phosphates. Ordered it from Amazon, and after the first use, my dishes are clean again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My user manual says it has many heat settings, among other settings - none of which are visible without double super-secret decoder sequenced button pressing. If yours does, possibly the default is set way too low.
Ridiculous we have to research a friggen dishwasher's operation.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My brand new GE monogram dishwasher will NOT dry dishes.
Just to help you out. Any appliance sold as energy star will not heat the dishes to dry because there is no element for it. It has been eliminated. Another problem is do this test. Just turn your dishwasher on, let it fill and open the door and stick your hand in the water. It is most likely cold, possibly lukewarm. The new dishwashers do not use enough water to get the hot water needed form your hot water heater. You have two options to help. Run the water beforehand until the tap is hot. Or run it on a sanitary cycle. The sanitary cycle is the better option in my opinion, it heats the water to about 160 degrees. This does two things. Really gets the dishes clean and also heats the dishes up so that they will dry. People fuss that the cycle takes too long now, which it does. But it heats the water before the main wash cycle starts in most models. Its a lot cheaper in my opinion to heat the little bit of water in the dishwasher vs all the waste needed to get hot water from the water heater itself. Still plastics wont dry properly because they don't retain the heat like a glass or metal pot will. Oh and yes you do have to use the rinse agent with the energy star dishwashers. It makes the water sheen off. Therefore quicker to dry. This is the way they are designed to operate. If they put a separate heating element in they would not be able meet the Energy Star requirements and would not be able to sell them as such. At some point you wont be able to buy any with drying elements in them.That's our federal government helping us out which is a whole another subject

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you clarify.
No heating element to heat water, but heating element to dry?
I must be misunderstanding you. Certainly no dishwashers running on cold water. I remember a restaurant take to task over operating with no hot water, for hand or dish washing.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yes the energy star dishwashers have an element to heat the water to wash but do not have one to heat the air to dry. If you have to turn on your hot water at your sink and it takes a few minutes to get hot water there's a good chance that mostly cold water is all that is reaching your dishwasher. Different cycles/brands have heaters and cycles to get them to heat the water. Its not uniform in my opinion. The older dishwashers used a lot more water and had plenty of hot water to wash the dishes without the extra cycles. The test I referred to above will show you exactly what I mean. I usually start the dishwasher after Ive cleaned up as I know the water will be hot when its turned on. It just bugs ne to run the water at the faucet until it gets hot. But we use the sanitary as well. Without using your sink beforehand try it. Its rare that's the water is hot or even warm for the first cycle

·
Registered
740 Posts
For an over the cooktop microwave LG is great. For a wall oven I would recommend GE and also GE for an electric cooktop. For the dishwasher I went with a KitchenAid and it is still the best. The fridge is also LG and would buy one again in the future.

The Bosch dishwashers when I looked into them in 2017 did not have heating element and would only air dry the dishes. As a result they build up a smell over time (like the new front load clothes washers).

Everything is standard stainless except the black glass cooktop and so it looks like it came from one company.
I spent a lot of time checking owners review on the Home Depot, Best Buy, and other websites to find appliances with fewer complaints or comments about wishing they had bought something else. If I am interested in Bosch for a dishwasher and read 50 owners reviews it is far more informative than asking 50 people with 50 different dishwashers if they like theirs or not.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here is my Philosophy of Appliances.

It's a given that appliances are nowhere near as well made as they were in the past, and that most of them now incorporate a lot more electronics. This means that, if you buy 5 appliances, there's a very good chance that one of them will require service at least once in the next few years.

So, one of the main considerations should be the quality of the service you can expect. Some brands (especially LG and Samsung) have terrible reputations for not having parts in stock. Whirlpool and GE are MUCH better at this. The other thing to think about is who is doing the service. Usually it will not be an employee of the manufacturer, but rather an independent contractor who has little incentive to do a good job for you. Once exception to this is that some retailers have their own service technicians, and they service what they sell. It might make sense to buy from one of these retailers if you can. This might even be one case where buying an extended warranty would make sense (i.e., if the retailer's own technicians do the actual service, not a contractor), because this kind of retailer has a strong motivation to actually fix your problem so that they don't get a call back.

Of course there are other considerations than service, and it's hard to navigate the morass of conflicting online reviews to figure out what you are going to love or hate about an appliance. But it's easier if you rule out some options based on service - for instance, I would never by an LG or a Samsung, and of the remaining brands I prefer Whirlpool and its subsidiaries based on good past experiences. And I'll stick with what my local service-what-they-sell retailer can sell me. So then I use online reviews to tell me if there's something that often breaks, or some feature people hate. It takes time, but if I've ruled out more than half of the options already, it's easier.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have to run the hot water in my sink before I run my dishwasher or it uses cold water. I have a Fisher Paykel (the dish drawer one) which I love. As long as I run the hot water in the sink first it works great... well except when we forget to fill the softener in the basement, then it puts spots on all my plastic - on the plus side it doubles as a remote softener alarm - I don't put salt in the dishwasher specifically for that reason heh

I will never buy another GE appliance, we bought a GE Profile Microwave and it died within a year - called them up and they basically said bummer buy a new one. We did, it's an LG, it's great.

I love my Kenmore Elite oven (pretty sure it's made by whirlpool)

I HATED my Whirlpool dishwasher and fridge - horrible things.

I love my Viking fridge.

Sometimes I think it's hit and miss if you get a good appliance or not, like folks complain about their fisher paykel, I love mine. Folks complain about their LG washer/dryer, I love mine. etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Honestly, I think appliances are better now than they were before.....20,30 years ago.
They use less water, they are generally quieter and they use less electricity. A refrigerator made today uses about half the electricity of a similar sized refrigerator from 20 year ago.

Like someone said above me...........it's hard to find a brand that excels in every area. Some do dishwashers better than refrigerators and some models of a refrigerator are superior to another line within the same brand.

If was going to replace a product, I would try to stay with the same brand and then find a model that looks similar or identical to the one I had so it would match the dishwasher and refrigerator. I like the idea of them being similar.

But that is just me......these are some of the resources I use to search though.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/consumer-reviews

https://www.cnet.com/best-products/

·
Usually Confused
7,559 Posts
The newer appliances might use less energy, water, etc. but are they as durable and do they do their job as well. It sounds like a number of the new dishwasher do not. All the appliances in our house came with the place so are roughly 24 years old and a variety of manufacturers. I think we had one service call for the fridge and I fixed a couple of things on the washing machine; other than that everything else ticks along. Both the washing machine and dishwasher have clockwork timers. Yes, I have to turn the TV up when the DW and top loader run, but life does carry on.

I actually fear having to hunt for replacements when the day comes.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I don't have a problem having different brands of appliances in my kitchen. Nobody going to notice or care that the little decal is different on your fridge and dishwasher. Don't restrict yourself by making an unnecessary requirement that they all be the same brand. (although you may be able to get an additional discount if you buy all appliances from one manufacturer).

My higher end Bosch dishwasher is definitely the best I have ever owned (a few years old). So quiet you can barely tell its running. Cleans fine, and low energy consumption. After that, not sure how to tell the difference between a good range and a bad one --- I think you need to go to Consumer Reports. People on this forum may hate Brand X range because they had one that had to be repaired 3 times --- but anecdotes of a model that hasn't been made in 15 years is hardly a good way to choose an appliance.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The best appliance company in the world without a doubt is Fisher Paykel.

Innovative design, user friendly, elegant, and energy efficient.

The old line appliance companies are years behind.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The best appliance company in the world without a doubt is Fisher Paykel.

Innovative design, user friendly, elegant, and energy efficient.

The old line appliance companies are years behind.
F&P bought DCS (Dynamic Cooking Systems) a high end US based appliance line in 2004.

In 2012, 90% of F&P shares was bought by Haier, the makers of GE (and other) appliances. Hopefully, Haier will leave F&P alone as they are amazing appliances, and you pay for them.

I do like their dish drawer. It looks like a great idea. Wish I had the space.

Wash, I understand your reticence on using additional chemicals, some dishwashing detergent has a rinse aid built-in. But, I have never read about any issues with rinse-aids. Just buy major names and not knock-offs and you won't get strange chemicals.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
One thing I do like to do, even before I purchase an item, is to read the manual. I did that before I bought my new laptop and it made me switch from one to another.

I also did it for my new Jeep. I was going to go with the Cherokee Trailhawk but something I read in the manual made me switch to the Limited. And, 30K miles later, we are still happy with "Jessica".

As someone who has written several user manuals for software. We try and put in as many suggestions to help with issues that we and others have come across while using the software.

So, RTFM has a special place in my heart. For example, in a Bosch dishwasher, you can turn on "Intensive Drying" which heats the water to a higher temp so the items being cleaned are hotter. Also, if your dishwasher offers a Sani-cycle, that will also heat the final rinse water to a higher temperature as well.

The manual also tells you about maintenance of your appliance. How much detergent to use (Most people use WAY to much) and what kind. When to clean filters and where they are (yes, your washers both dish and clothes have filters that need to be cleaned) Not cleaning your dishwasher filter can lead to dishes not being cleaned as well or drying as well.

The manual can also tell you about "hidden" features of your appliance.

In case you are wondering what RTFM means, well, it means READ THE FRIGGIN' MANUAL. And caps are intended and friggin' was a substitute for a more inappropriate word.

·
Registered
630 Posts
F&P bought DCS (Dynamic Cooking Systems) a high end US based appliance line in 2004.

In 2012, 90% of F&P shares was bought by Haier, the makers of GE (and other) appliances. Hopefully, Haier will leave F&P alone as they are amazing appliances, and you pay for them.

I do like their dish drawer. It looks like a great idea. Wish I had the space.

Wash, I understand your reticence on using additional chemicals, some dishwashing detergent has a rinse aid built-in. But, I have never read about any issues with rinse-aids. Just buy major names and not knock-offs and you won't get strange chemicals.
The Dish Drawer is an amazing appliance. As is the counter cook top.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Dish Drawer is an amazing appliance. As is the counter cook top.

I have seen the dish drawers online and in the stores, but what is special about them? What do they do that is different than a traditional dishwasher, except that they might wash smaller loads and appear to be raised higher and more convenient to use?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bosch dishwashers lack the heating element of other brands and so over time will start to develop a smelly interior. I went with a KitchenAid instead for this reason. The KitchenAid dishwasher makes no more noise than a friend's Bosch dishwasher and when it is running I have to look at the LED light to verify that it is doing so as it is so very quiet.
Similar problem with the low water using front loading clothes washers that also start to smell as a result of water not draining out completely.

I always read the owners' reviews of appliances that are easily found on the websites for Best Buy and Home Depot and Lowes and other appliance resellers. When I read 30 or more positive or negative review about an appliance's performance or warranty problems with the local dealers or the manufacturer, this information is used to decide on which brand and which model to buy.
There is no reason to rely on a website such as this one that provides a tiny fraction of the information that can be found on appliance specific websites.
Something one cannot glean from online reviews though is how efficient the dishwasher is from a loading perspective. Our KitchenAid dishwasher has enabled us to load 20% more dishware and so go longer between running it and cut down the amount of hand washing of tall wine or beer glasses.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have seen the dish drawers online and in the stores, but what is special about them? What do they do that is different than a traditional dishwasher, except that they might wash smaller loads and appear to be raised higher and more convenient to use?

Best part about it isn’t he wife told me that she will never go back to the old style. So if she’s happy about a dishwasher I’m happy. It really is a lot more convenient. Just using one drawer for the most part. They do clean well. Quiet as well. The old dishwashers were so loud. They’ve all come a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts